Quantcast
Porsches - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Porsches

If your looking for fun go with the Nissan GT-R. Better in every measurable way then most 911 models and priced closer to the caymen. More practical, safer, closer to your Hondas in reliability, and a less common sight a clear winner. If your looking for "the look" and a much nicer badge, cleaner look, more prestige Porsche is the answer. Boxster is too much a girls car, Caymen or "coxster" as Jermey Clarkson calls it is "underengineered, a great car but you get the feeling it could have been better if they weren't worried about pushing into 911 territory," the 911 well it's a constantly improving icon. For transparency I have never driven any of these cars but they are a passion and I have read many reviews, and enjoy rehashing the knowledge as my own. The Porsche/GTR choice has been something the I have been imagining mulling over since the GT-R was reintroduced, I doubt I am of much help but I cannot resist talking cars at every opportunity.

For me, there is a very real difference in feel between the German and Japanese cars. If you are of northern European descent, the German cars are designed for you, and the fit and feel are unique. I find this true in motorcycles as well, I have had Japanese, Italian, English and German bikes and the German ones just work best for mu body.
    YMMV, really!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Everyone should own a Porsche, once.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

I really love the classic 911, but I'm a big guy so I have a Mercedes E320 instead.

If I had an extra bag of cash maybe I'd buy a Panamera for road trips, though.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    For me, there is a very real difference in feel between the German and Japanese cars.
    Quite right.

I had a Supra turbo for a while and it was a fun car but zero personality. A friend's Mitsubishi 3000GT twin turbo was similarly bland.

For a daily driver on public roads with traffic, what is important is not the ultimate performance of the vehicle but the driving experience that it provides. IMO, Japanese cars intentionally insulate you from that experience while German cars intentionally involve all your senses.

if this is going to be a daily driver, i'd get an M3 instead. for a weekender, its hard to beat a GT3. i've never been behind the wheel of a 997 GT3, but the 996 was killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cipcich View Post
    I've always wanted a Porsche, but only now have actually seriously considered buying one (used). My Hondas are no fun.
    If anyone owns one, or used to own one, I'd like to hear about it.
    Used to own a 911sc targa 1982 model and 944turbo model. Between the for comfort, i prefer the 944t.. For exhiliration when driving.. The 911. I wld steer clear of the convertibles or targa for 2 reasons.. Leak problem and wind noise above 120km. Quite intolerable. Ditto for the E320 convertibles. As for turbos i wld also stay clear as the consumption can be double when going full throttle all the way. Used to clock 400km each way at 190km consistantly..
    Every week to my other office. Currently relegated to mitsubishi airtrek turbo and the petrol consumption is high. Managing it by driving below 120km

Whatever yr choice have fun.

Wow. The mind reels.
    Not of Northern European extraction, but I lived in Germany 1959-62, at an impressionable age.
    I've bought Honda Civics like they were toaster ovens for the past 20 years, but they're about as much fun.
    Last time I drove a Porsche was 35+ years ago, when a friend handed me the keys to a 1969 911S, and we spent the afternoon racing around the (short) mountains east of San Diego. It was like flying a jet.
    Much to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Everyone should own a Porsche, once.
    Kinda like a Kramer.

If you want one, buy one!

I've owned an '82 928 5sp for 17 years. It has been the most reliable, economical car I've ever owned - of course I do all my own wrenching - the first thing I did was drop $400 for the 9 volume factory shop manual - if you can't do your own work, look elsewhere, the stealership will bleed you dry fast. Your local dealer, Sonnen, charges $175/hr for labor last time I checked.

I recently added an '89 S4 928 to my stable. Rare combination of 5sd, Sport suspension, and Limited slip dif. Basically a solid car in need of some TLC. It had been driven 1,600 miles since 2006!

The '82 is quick, the '89 is bloody FAST.

An unequaled source of Porsche knowledge and advice can be found on rennlist.com.

If you find a car that you are interested in, a pre-purchase inspection is mandatory (unless you know the cars really well). I'd recommend Deven Wailes at HiTech Automotive in San Rafael - straight shooter.

James

+ Reply to Thread