Airbnb Guest Knives Sadness

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidiank

Reaction score
I headed out to cali this weekend for a friends wedding. Before I left I discussed with my SO which one of my knives to bring. She told me she would not check a bag just because I 'needed' a nice knife and that whatever was in the house would suffice.

Well, I just finished breaking down half a dozen onions with the shittiest Kyocera ever.

She says, "maybe you should have brought your knives"

FML. Anyone has similar stories.

I always bring a knife to a place where I plan to do any food related work. Period.
Too many times the knives available would not cut at all, or there was a time when just a small, dull parer was available. I ended up cutting stuff forva warm dinner with a slipjoint pocket knife. If I plan to cook several meals at given location, than I carry a small gyuto/ish knife of around 180 and a narrow parer.

Checking luggage just to carry a blade along is just too big of a pain, unless of course it is a serious gig. Otherwise, I just carry some wet/dry sandpaper in my travel bag (and in my car for that matter as well for those unexpected times). amazing how quickly you can get a usable edge when you have a strip of 120/400/800. This has saved me a lot of grief in the past.
Cheers.

Checking luggage just to carry a blade along is just too big of a pain, unless of course it is a serious gig. Otherwise, I just carry some wet/dry sandpaper in my travel bag (and in my car for that matter as well for those unexpected times). amazing how quickly you can get a usable edge when you have a strip of 120/400/800. This has saved me a lot of grief in the past.
Cheers.
This is a good idea.

Cheers.
I was considering stones, but I like this idea

I can work with a chitty knife when need be. Traveling by road I take a knife. Traveling by air I do not.

I frequently have to show dishie or other newbie with chitty knives or chittier house knives how to do something with knife. When I do I use their knives. What's the point of showing them how I do it with my knives then asking them to do same with a POS?

I carry two dmt diafolds = c/m & f/ef in my luggage, I can make anything usable with them even if the edges don't stay that way for long. Also, if, w there is a costco nearby, I can buy a set of tramontina knives for about $12 (Santakou, paring and utility) that are perfectly fine

When traveling for few days up to a week I take my opinel 12. It cuts well enough for cooking few things around. It can be used for other handy stuff. It is robust and easy to pack since foldable.

If I travel for several weeks and stay at the same place, I pack a 180 or a 210 robust guyto.

If I fly and do not check in luggage (which means I cannot pack a knife) I take a 1000 grit apex type sharpening stone.

I think it is important to take smth robust because you do not know what kind of board you get.

It's a poor carpenter who blames his tools.
(Oh darn, another short post that offers nothing to the discussion.)

Even rougher solution.... once I used the back of a ceramic plate to get a usable edge from a knife and it worked! Not all plates, just some ceramic with a rough bottom.

I'm a terrible carpenter. Also got annoyed being stranded with no sharp knife this summer... Cheap supermarket petty to the rescue, it was almost sharp!

I spent a day in the Viet state run cooking school in Hue. The knife they gave me was about the dullest Kiwi (round point Viet pattern, not the Thai cleaver) I've had the misfortune to ever use. I wasn't getting anything accomplished with it but the instructor was doing just fine. That really came home when they wanted me to carve flowers etc out of tomatoes. I checked his knife on a break and it was just as dull as mine. I guess skill can make up for a lot.

I hate flying with a passion, so traveling with knives by car is usually not an issue. Even before I got bitten by the knife bug my husband and I always packed kitchen gear to take with us when renting a place to stay with a kitchen.

We've got a cabin for most of a week during Thanksgiving in Gatlinburg, TN. DH and I are the cooks and my sissy and her hubby are happy to do the clean up while my Dad will supervise. Clean up isn't really that bad with us as we are used to cleaning as we go.

We've committed ourselves to no more than one 40 gallon rubbermaid tote for our gear. I've decided my knives don't count if they are packed in my luggage :doublethumbsup:. I'm really looking to spending some time cooking good food for family seldom seen.

I've stayed at a few really nice vacation homes and have anyways been disappointed in how crap their kitchen stuff is. If I could afford to blow a few million bucks on a vacation home, I'd at least throw a Wusthof or Zwilling knife set in there, not the Walmart specials, but maybe that's why I'm poor?

The only exception was when I rented a house from somebody who worked for Restoration Hardware. That place was AWESOME. It wasn't a vacation home though, just one of the owner's residences traveling between coasts.

I frequently have to show dishie or other newbie with chitty knives or chittier house knives how to do something with knife. When I do I use their knives. What's the point of showing them how I do it with my knives then asking them to do same with a POS?

Because it might open their eyes to a whole new world of possibilities, and inspire them?

Works quite well with bottom of most mugs ....

Really does! I think at any place you have a mug or something, or maybe even a steel.... for stropping some oldschool newspaper will do...

Had a work related ski-trip to france, cooking for about a dozen people everyday for a week. Just had a grumpy old thin half-rotten supermarket knife, kept sharp with a little mug and some newspaper... worked :dontknow:

I drive a larger mini-van, so when driving I carry a small toolbox that holds 5 or 6 knives(cleaver to paring), 3 or 4 stones, sandpaper, oil, wax, and a small cutting board. nice to have along even if it never leaves the van.

Works quite well with bottom of most mugs ....
Yep, just tried it in the tearoom at work (during an enforced break while everyone else got their s*** together).

A very usable edge on an old beaten up supermarket pull-through knife sharpened on the back of a mug. A wet paper towel was useful to keep the mug still.

I drive a larger mini-van, so when driving I carry a small toolbox that holds 5 or 6 knives(cleaver to paring), 3 or 4 stones, sandpaper, oil, wax, and a small cutting board. nice to have along even if it never leaves the van.

Mini van, tool box full of knives......Dexter, is that you?

If I will be cooking, even at camping, I always bring 180-210mm gyuto.
If it's a fully equipped cottage I might consider a 240mm. I never trust a resident knives, and never was surprised yet.

Cheers.

wow, never thought to do this. thanks for the tip!

Back