Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GMT -4?

Well, much of Europe goes off DST on the 30th -- ahead of the US. It is probably time confusion until we are all on the same time again. For one week we are now one hour closer to Europe.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    Weird, mine says GMT -4. Oh well.
    I just remembered that you can set the time some you're in in "Settings".
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

I'll have a looksee later on at the back end and see what the settings are set at.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    I'll have a looksee later on at the back end and see what the settings are set at.
    Don't go to all that trouble, my bet is it is fixed when we go onto DST.

Too late I already went there.

OK here's the deal....

The software has its default setting as GMT-5 with DST automatically detected. This means that anyone not logged in (like a guest) will see the time stamp as the default EST with DST.

For logged in members you will see whatever you set your date & time option settings to. I'm on the US eats coast so I set my settings to GMT-5 and select the DST correction option to "Automatically detect DST settings".

For those members not using DST then you can select "DST corrections always off".

Now the other issue seems to be that the forum clock is running about 12 min behind but that's likely a server hosting issue.

Mine is GMT-7. It depends on which time zone you are in.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Mine is GMT-7. It depends on which time zone you are in.
    Right, my point was that the timezone changed on mine - which seems to be because of the difference in DST for Europe and the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    Right, my point was that the timezone changed on mine - which seems to be because of the difference in DST for Europe and the US.
    Not exactly. Greenwich Mean Time never changes. It's the absolute time reference for all other time around the world. So when the USA observes DST we reduce the time difference between GMT and your local time zone by 1 hour. The observance of DST in Europe has no affect on the USA relationship to GMT.

Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    Not exactly. Greenwich Mean Time never changes. It's the absolute time reference for all other time around the world. So when the USA observes DST we reduce the time difference between GMT and your local time zone by 1 hour. The observance of DST in Europe has no affect on the USA relationship to GMT.
    Sorry, I meant for GMT and US not Europe.