Suggest a gyuto for my fiancée

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
(Questions pertain to a gift knife for my fiancée; further notes at the bottom of the post.)

U.S.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Chef's knife.

Are you right or left handed?

Right.

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

Undecided. Was originally leaning towards Western but would consider Japanese.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

180mm or so; not substantially longer.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

No, but carbon monosteel probably isn't a good idea.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

US$250, but would prefer something <US$175.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Home.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Primary: slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats. Secondary: filleting fish, trimming meats.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Shun TDM0727 Premier Santoku Knife, 5-1/2-Inch

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

Hammer; finger point. Working on pinch ;)

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

Chap, walk, slice, mostly...

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

More of a narrow tip and slightly more heft than the santoku.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Wood, Boos edge grain most of the time. Occasional synthetic dishwasher-safe board for wet, raw proteins.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

She does not. I'm learning.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

She isn't, beyond honing.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

Not that I don't already own.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

My girlfriend/fiancée is petite (5'0" / < 153cm) with correspondingly small but athletic hands. Of my current knives, she only really feels comfortable with my paring knives and the Shun santoku I mention above; my >8-inch blades and especially my 240 are unusable. The handle size of the santoku is nearly ideal for her, but I wish she could experience just a little more heft/sturdiness (it's really lightweight) and have a gyuko-style tip to work with. I have a 180mm petty that's probably nearly ideal from a handle and length perspective, but isn't close to the right profile to enable chopping, etc.

She's starting to cook more, mostly using my previously-purchased kitchen items, and I'd finally like her to have something she feels is truly hers.

Care for high-carbon monosteel is too much to ask of her, but daily maintenance of an exposed cutting edge is probably okay and might contribute to the ownership mentality. Otherwise stainless is good.

A pretty handle would be nice ;) Pink/coral, blue, etc. Or at least a nicely-lacquered wood handle that isn't just a simple wood tone and isn't black or "industrial"!

Bonus if the maker is able/willing to engrave or stamp her name in some fashion...

I was going to suggest Jon's Gesshin Stainless Wa-Gyuto is the perfect beginner's knife. Until I noticed, "180mm or so; not substantially longer." It is very light & well balanced & at the bottom of your price range, but if it won't work it won't work. I notice Jon's got a Gonbei 180mm Hammered Damascus Santoku that fits your length, should have enough board clearance, and maybe has enough bling to appeal. From his site it seems you're asking for an unusual size and he has limited selection. Other forum vendors will have more shipping hassles for you, but might have something better. Good luck.

(I vaguely recall a "short gyuto" / "tall petty" thread in the last month or so. You may want to do a forum search along those lines.)

Edit: decided I could be more helpful... (Can't insert a Google search link.) But here is the Thread I was thinking about, but there are others too.

Last edited:
For your application I like a Suisin Western Inox Gyuto from Korin. They have 180mm available, it's one I've purchased for lady friends that has been very well received (and them owning at least one sharp knife is good when I'm cooking). Korin will also do custom engraving (or laser etching - never checked into it) of anything you can provide artwork for. Good luck.

A Takamua santoku is often recommended for the smaller ladies. Knife is thin and light.

https://www.mtckitchen.com/takamura-hsps-santoku-knife-170mm-6-7/

Japanese Chefs Knife has a few 150mm gyutos, including this one with a bit of bling. No personal experience with the maker.

https://japanesechefsknife.com/products/takeshi-saji-vg-10-custom-damascus-wild-series-gyuto-135mm-and-150mm

You could also investigate 150mm petty knifes, though you should check to make sure there is sufficient knuckle height.

Get her a Tojiro DP santoku and spend the rest on some cubic zirconia earings.

I guess I should mention explicitly that I'm looking for a gyuto profile and *not* another santoku [emoji57]

Takamura also offers a 180 mm gyuto for about the same price as the Santoku.

The red handle has a nice look on the Takamura R2. It is also small good for your better half. The thin grind, edge retention, & ease of sharpening make it a true performer.

The Takamura 180 looks great!! By far the leading contender right now. Thanks!!

You said up-thread you were looking for something with more heft/sturdiness than the santouku? Takamure r2 is only 1.8mm on the spine (no distal taper) and is prone to damage if handled roughly (according to some of the reviews).

I also wonder if people cannot take care of carbon...why such a (semi?) fragile blade is any different?

Won't you will still need a second knife once she gets near a bone or has to do other un-pleaseant things.
I mean nuts and bones and lazers don't get along, but they are also no fun with 90-125mm petty.

Yes, after reading more about the Takamura and seeing a review video, I think it's too light/thin. Otherwise I like most aspects of that knife quite a bit.

Still looking around...

For your application I like a Suisin Western Inox Gyuto from Korin.
Either this or a Misono UX10, available too at Korin or also JCK (japanesechefsknife) to name 2 reputable sellers... I would go with the UX10, it has a very unique bolster design... One day I will get myself one of these gyutos just because of that bolster...:pirate1:

Oh, Watanabe offers a Kurouchi gyuto in 180mm with stainless cladding: http://www.kitchen-knife.jp/special/gyutoknife.htm

So, either that or the UX10! I would choose from these 2...

You said up-thread you were looking for something with more heft/sturdiness than the santouku? Takamure r2 is only 1.8mm on the spine (no distal taper) and is prone to damage if handled roughly (according to some of the reviews).

I also wonder if people cannot take care of carbon...why such a (semi?) fragile blade is any different?

Won't you will still need a second knife once she gets near a bone or has to do other un-pleaseant things.
I mean nuts and bones and lazers don't get along, but they are also no fun with 90-125mm petty.

True a Taka R2 is thin don't cut hard objects. Any knife requires care. Already having a Boo's end grain is a plus. We use a R2 quite a bit at home. I do not baby thin blades, used them at work for years. 90%+ of your cutting is fruits & vegetables and meat with out bone. A thin edge knife will cut better than a thick edge. Most Home cooks already have thick Stainless knives laying around anyway. I don't mean to stereotype have noticed most women don't like carbon knives.

If spending a couple bills for an upgrade blade you can get a hefty do it all knife. It is like riding the Tour De France mountain stages on a thick tire mountain bike it will do the job but a thin tire lightweight road bike will blow you away. Another thing I have noticed mostly from people in the industry when they cut with a thin edge blade it is so much better they take care of them. Certainly this applies to Home cooks too.

Let me ask a question....

Did your fiance ask for her own knife or is this something you decided on your own will?

Let me ask a question....

Did your fiance ask for her own knife or is this something you decided on your own will?
Haha. This is really a critical point. I keep telling my wife I will buy her a knife and she just laughs at me and says she is fine using whatever.

Haha. This is really a critical point. I keep telling my wife I will buy her a knife and she just laughs at me and says she is fine using whatever.

This is a joint initiative. She thinks my 210s are too big (especially the handles) and my 240 might as well be a Sting to her Frodo. She really only feels comfortable with my Shun 6" santoku, but has expressed a desire for a different shape (a 180 petty I have works well for her in many ways but isn't great for anything that requires some clearance from the board). Between the petty and the santoku, she's probably fine, but also doesn't love that all but one of our knives are what I used previously and brought into our household.

Shun actually makes a 6" chef's knife that's probably just about right for her, but (in my mind) too expensive for what it is and also a little generic. Which is why I'm looking for a similar size and profile but a little more distinct.

The Kramer Zwilling knife mentioned upthread might be a good bet (at that price, not the original); visiting my local Sur La Table this week to check it out!

Personally I think the ZKramer 6 inch is a little bit too short (16cm) as a general purpose knife. With it's belly there's basically no flat spot, that might be hard to adapt from santokus which have a long flat spot. Be aware that ZKramers have really large handles as well, I think the 6 inch has a same size handle as the 8 inch.
There's a shiro kamo 180mm gyuto at cktg which I think deserves consideration as well.
http://www.**************.com/kar2gy18.html

I would not waste any time thinking about a kramer unless you plan on taking her to a store so she can hold one.

When a gift for you is really a gift for me hahaha.

Im not going to say anything cliche like 'man up' cause I am not married and I dont know your financial situation.

But if you slide a nice box with earings alongside those knives it would be easier for her to swallow &#128521;

Latest posts

Back