Beston strangeness

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecchef

Global Moderators
KKF Lifetime Supporter
Founding Member
Reaction score
I've had the 500x for a while and it gets regular use, but only recently have I been permasoaking it, along with a few others. When I went to change the water today, I found a nice rainbow under that particular stone.
I also ran into some internal flaws recently consisting of little 'rocks' imbedded in the matrix. Easy enough to pick out, but still annoying. Anyone else run into weird stone stuff?

RIMG0259.jpg

My sink has that spot from where I permasoak my 1200 Bester, I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas as to why.

Perhaps it is some Iron oxidation (rust) of sorts of little bits of steel left behind from sharpening sessions and this is where it deposits in the pan. I'm guessing both the pan and sink are metal eh?

Rainbows: Interesting. I haven't noticed them. It's been a while since I permasoaked, though...
Rocks: Actually, yes, occasionally. I used to think it was diamonds left over from flattening (which does happen) but a couple of times, I did actually find tiny rocks.

Perhaps it is some Iron oxidation (rust) of sorts of little bits of steel left behind from sharpening sessions and this is where it deposits in the pan. I'm guessing both the pan and sink are metal eh?

Nope, not rust. The pan is stainless, I flatten & rinse the stones before they go to bed, it doesn't rub off, and it's only under that one stone. I keep 4 stones in the pond & always line them up the same way. And...there's no discoloration on the edge of the stone that contacts the pan!
:scratchhead:

Rainbows: Interesting. I haven't noticed them. It's been a while since I permasoaked, though...
Rocks: Actually, yes, occasionally. I used to think it was diamonds left over from flattening (which does happen) but a couple of times, I did actually find tiny rocks.
So far, only found 'em in the 500. Leaves little divots in the surface.

Start putting the stone on top of a knife to get badass rainbow patina

Start putting the stone on top of a knife to get badass rainbow patina

I can't tell if you're joking or not, and I can't decide whether or not to do this....

Hell yeah you should do it. Just use a cheap knife. ;)

When I get home I'm going to give this a go with the cheapest SS knife I still have.
Sadly I think this would be impossible to get on a carbon, because rust would occur long before the rainbow patina would.

When I get home I'm going to give this a go with the cheapest SS knife I still have.
Sadly I think this would be impossible to get on a carbon, because rust would occur long before the rainbow patina would.

Haha I was not joking but definitely on cheapo stainless knife!

Back