Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Custom or not?

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    also, the concept that all customs are good is a misconception... there are good customs and there are not good customs (and both might be expensive). Just getting a custom knife doesnt ensure that you will get a good knife. Not only do you need to make sure you buy from a knifemaker you trust, but you also need to make sure their knife design/style mesh well with your cutting style and preferences. You could buy a knife from a great knifemaker and still be unhappy with it. Actually, the same rings true for non-custom knives.
    I agree with that categorically, but I have to add that the makers that have sub-forums on this site have all been exceptional in my experience. Judging their qualities, I feel less like I am choosing what is good and bad, and more like I am measuring every quality starting at perfect and moving backward. They really are in a class apart.

did you really say "rings true"?

But what is a custom knife? When I read about custom knives, I come across two definitions.

1. Knife is made to a user preference and specification.

2. Knife is made by one artisan from the beginning to an end (custom vs mid-tech).

Should a knife that is not made to a user's preferences be considered a custom knife? What do you guys think?

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    But what is a custom knife? When I read about custom knives, I come across two definitions.

1. Knife is made to a user preference and specification.

2. Knife is made by one artisan from the beginning to an end (custom vs mid-tech).

Should a knife that is not made to a user's preferences be considered a custom knife? What do you guys think?

M
    I guess i think of the first as custom and the latter as hand crafted

My original response suggested the OP check go with CN, if she didn't care about the bells and whistles. I'm working off the assumption that the OP is not a knut and just wants something that cuts exceptionally well AND is "heirloom quality" as Eamon pointed out. I think there are plenty of people that go to SLT or something and buy Shun Kramers or whatever because they think that is exactly what they are getting. Why not get a real custom instead? I don't think most people buy a series of inexpensive washing machines to figure out what kind of washing machine they like. They get what they think they want and then deal with it. Lastly, I'm not suggesting the OP call up Devin and give him specs. I'm suggesting she ask him to send her something that will blow her away. My guess is he'd come up with something better than what most of us would dream up. Last, most people have horrid cutting skills and need retraining anyway.

BTW, I very much agree with Jon on the "not all customs are created equal."

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    I guess i think of the first as custom and the latter as hand crafted

Christ, i don't even have a custom knife. you don't need, or want, a custom knife. all my knives are hand crafted. my knives are all ground how i like them, but i did it. if you can't grind a hand crafted knife to your preference then you should buy a standard J-knife.

99,9% of those who buys a million + car, can't drive it.
    Should they not buy it?

If you can afford, go bigh end from an western maker. Support your western blade makers. According to most here, handcrafted knives are bs, but they are not

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    Should they not buy it?
    no, they shouldn't.

This is tough...my only full custom is the best cutter I own (tied with a Carter), is by far my most "special" knife, is my prettiest knife, and I have zero regret for getting it. I commissioned the maker fairly early on in my J-knife life, but I had been a fan of high-end knives for a very long time, and was reading/studying Japanese kitchen knives feverishly as I waited for my knife to be made. The maker and I tweaked the design repeatedly, and luckily for me, he wouldn't send it out until it performed like we were dreaming it should. My best knife is the result of a modest, patient craftsman, not my design abilities.
    However, I feel customs are only worthwhile if you have a solid knowledge base, and you allow the maker to fix things as he sees fit. Are they for everyone? Definitely not! Am I getting more? You're damned right I am.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com