Quantcast
Does your knife have soul?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does your knife have soul?

Does your knife have soul?

Some like all bright an fancy others like patina. Here's a picture of 2 knifes - 1 in each category.

I'm def. for the top one - for me that shows soul, usage - it has a "life" to show. Bottom one look's great too, but for me that is more "dead".

http://zknives.com/cpg14/displayimag..._display_media

Yup I'm with you on that. Museum pieces do little for me, showing some wear and tear while still being safe and functional is a whole lot more attractive

That's why I am such a fan of KU knives. Lots of soul

Many carbon steels (including 52100) acquire grey patina over time. Plenty of soul, as far as I am concerned.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I prefer the bottom one. No such thing as a knife having soul. For me.

-AJ

I like the bottom,shinny one myself.Just because the owner chose to keep the blade in pristine condition,doesn't mean that it doesn't have "soul".Every time you clean/sharpen/work on your blade,you're putting some of your soul back into the knife.
    The patina looks pretty cool as well...

The bottom one is a miroshi deba, so not too much exposure to acidic food and not too much usage in the Western kitchen either.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

You can't just judge by the blade. Stainless will never show it's history like carbon. It's the handle tells the tale as well. For me, the 'soul' also comes from the feedback when blade hits board or stone. Some of mine always feel 'distant', if that makes sense.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Maybe the deba knife was brand new when gator took the pic,I love them both.

Depends on how much I really use a knife. If it's a stainless (which I don't use often) then, no, no soul. Carbon yes. As the blade gets used and age it really tells a story. That and you know you put some of your soul into it when it draws first blood

+ Reply to Thread