Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does your knife have soul?

I wouldn't say knives have soul, but at the same time we all have our favourites for various reasons. My favourite I own is my JCK wa-KV8 which is probably the least flashy knife I own. I have thinned and sharpened it so many times it is totally different from how it was new and I never took out the scratches from thinning it, but it performs incredibly well and part of why I love it so much is because it should be about the lowest performance knife I own, but due to its profile changing over time, it is perfect for me.

I think this sums up what I mean
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkhoek View Post
    If a great master blade smith made it and great master chefs have used it I believe some blades will be like a Stradivarius violin after a long time with almost magic properties

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Moritakas rust like a motherf**ker.
    Oh, and there's one sure way to identify a Moritaka...ain't that right Dave?
    Mine used to have rust issues and to an extent still does, but after a cold blueing and thick natural patina, it is so far less than the original I would say it is no more than any other carbon

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhoek View Post
    ...the blacksmith left a part of his soul to the blade. The sharpener did the same as well as the warrior that owned it and went to battle with it for...
    I don't know if I'd call it soul or history but this is pretty much how I feel about it. I've put a lot of myself in some of my pieces. Those are special to me. On the other hand, there are those blades that I want to keep pristine and I am constantly appreciating what the knifemaker put into it. Those are equally special on some level. Some are a combination of both.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    but after a cold blueing
    Cold blueing - please educate me

I like them both! Seasons come and go.

I let my knives build up their patina and whatnot, and every now and again, I refurb them like a nutjob!

I don't really like mirror finishes on anything. My favorite conditions are:
    Newer satin finish
    or
    25 year black patina

Quote Originally Posted by Peco View Post
    Cold blueing - please educate me
    Cold blueing is a process by which a blade/gunbarrel, is completely cleaned polished, no oils or waxes, and with the metal bright, the chemical is applied - blueing salts - several applications until the metal takes the depth of "Blue-black" the user wishes, the salts are then neutralized and the blueing complete. Think of it like a deep, dark, even patina, like a gun barrel (those usually done by hot blueing) The result is a metal protected by the patina, and slightly more resistant to rust forming. Not sure how this would do in a food environment, saftey speaking.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Quote Originally Posted by PierreRodrigue View Post
    Cold blueing is a process by which a blade/gunbarrel, is completely cleaned polished, no oils or waxes, and with the metal bright, the chemical is applied - blueing salts - several applications until the metal takes the depth of "Blue-black" the user wishes, the salts are then neutralized and the blueing complete. Think of it like a deep, dark, even patina, like a gun barrel (those usually done by hot blueing) The result is a metal protected by the patina, and slightly more resistant to rust forming. Not sure how this would do in a food environment, saftey speaking.
    Ahhh, like the Colt's and S&W ... get it ... thanks P.

After doing it I'm not sure I'd recommend it based purely on the fact that the selenium(chemical that cases the reaction) smells rather odd. I washed the knife very well and despite the constant smell there was never any transference to food. If I get permission to post attachments I'll put up the photos of the process including smoothing out the rough KU faces of the knife. The blueing did start to rub off after a week when I would wipe the knife and eventually the smell was gone after that its far more rust resistant than before.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    After doing it I'm not sure I'd recommend it based purely on the fact that the selenium(chemical that cases the reaction) smells rather odd. I washed the knife very well and despite the constant smell there was never any transference to food. If I get permission to post attachments I'll put up the photos of the process including smoothing out the rough KU faces of the knife. The blueing did start to rub off after a week when I would wipe the knife and eventually the smell was gone after that its far more rust resistant than before.
    I have heard of this being done before, but have never seen any pics. I am curious. Sarge, you should be able to upload to a third party cache (photobucket etc...)then link from there.

Guess I'll have to open me a photobucket account