VG-10 Patina?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khorax

Reaction score
I just got my first VG10 knife, a tanaka petty. I used it for one mral, cutting cucumber, onion, tomato and waited about 5 minutes before cleaning it. It already has some dark brown blue spots on both sides of the cladding.

1. I thought VG10 was stainless. What gives? Is the cladding not VG10?

2. I don't have any BKF or metal polish, or rust erasers.. How can I get rid of this without ruining the finish of the knife? (Damascus, grind marks are from spine to edge). I don't mind buying a few products if there is no DIY solution.

Thanks

VG10, judging from my one knife that is soft stainless clad with VG10 core, doesn't form a patina nor does it oxidize. I doubt the entire knife is made of VG10... especially if it's Damascus??

Thats wierd, i got nothing on the cladding of mine, I got the Western small gyuto Damascus vg10

that's the tanaka that im taking about. Even more evenly distributed brown tarnishing on both sides of the cladding this morning. It's subtle but it's clearly there.

I have had "stainless" cladding that was slightly reactive before. Normally it is reactive specifically with acidic foods.

I bought 5-6 Tanaka knives on eBay over years. Two times vendors made mistakes and sent me wrong knives: VG10 instead of blue#2 and the other way around. So my bet is that you simply got a blue#2 core with carbon clad.
All the real VG10 Tanaka knives I've seen had a pure stainless cladding that can tolerate months of abuse before even a reminders of rust appears.

The cladding isn't VG-10, but rather some other stainless... but it should be stainless. I've got the wa version of the same knife, and used to have the blue #2 wa petty. The cladding of the blue #2 (soft iron, I think) seemed to turn brown if you looked at it wrong, but I can cut citrus and leave it laying around (and coincidentally, it is on the board right now, after cutting up a lemon about a half an hour ago) and... nothing. Sound like you got a blue #2 petty. Bar Keeper's Friend will fix that right up, so worth the $3 or whatever it costs. But probably the best bet is to work out a discount with your vendor... something where you can either keep the carbon petty at his wholesale cost, which would then be deducted from from the cost of the VG-10, or where you just return the blue #2 and he sends you the VG-10. From my experience, I prefer the VG-10. Edge qualities seem similar, but the blue #2 cladding is quite reactive.

I have had "stainless" cladding that was slightly reactive before. Normally it is reactive specifically with acidic foods.
The stainless cladding on my Yoshikane skd Tsuchime patina-ed mildly (greyish), mainly over the distal 2 thirds. It's the only stainless or stainless clad knife I've ever seen it on though. No trouble on my Tanaka ginsanko or stainless clad blue 2.

as a couple have already said chances are you received the wrong knife

The stainless cladding on my Yoshikane skd Tsuchime patina-ed mildly (greyish), mainly over the distal 2 thirds. It's the only stainless or stainless clad knife I've ever seen it on though. No trouble on my Tanaka ginsanko or stainless clad blue 2.

Same knife that I had! I say had because my mother stole it over the previous holiday season. I have had other stainless steel discolor, though. Not really patina but odd spotting that is not what I would call water spots. Cheaper stainless on outdoor knives in particular but that is another story.

I'll try to figure out how to post a picture. I didn't know there was a tanaka Damascus western petty in anything else than vg10?
Again, the discoloration ous on the cladding not the core.

Spine.. i use the belt sander set abt 1000rpm for the spine and a hand held belt sander for the choil area made b Proxxon

[video=youtube;sQ3sjv7EvQ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=SG&v=sQ3sjv7EvQ0&hl=en-GB[/video]
Rgds Z

Same knife that I had! I say had because my mother stole it over the previous holiday season. I have had other stainless steel discolor, though. Not really patina but odd spotting that is not what I would call water spots. Cheaper stainless on outdoor knives in particular but that is another story.
Your mum has good taste!

I believe your blade has been cursed with the tears of Ashura.

Back