Hi from the Pacific Northwest WA

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paraffin

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Home cook here.

I had a brief flirtation with Japanese knives around 15 years ago, with a set of Masamoto single bevel Yanagi, Deba and Usuba. They stayed mostly unused in the knife drawer, because they were so specialized that they didn't make a lot of sense in my home kitchen where I don't actually cook Japanese food (more like Thai, Chinese, and basic Southern USA comfort food). The Usuba in particular was frustrating. It had a self-steering tendency that I just never developed the skill to control. They went off to Ebay where I'm sure someone else is enjoying them. So it was back to the usual Wusthof kitchen knives.

Fast forward to this year, and I impulsively decided to experiment with a Shun dual core Kiritsuke and dual core utility knife. I'm ready to fall further down the J-knife rabbit hole by trying some non-factory made knives, now that I've got the double-bevel thing sorted out. I'm sure you'll hear from me with questions at some point. This looks like a great community to learn from.

Welcome Paraffin. You from Seattle? I think there are a few mwmbers from the NW USA here.

Welcome fo the rabbit hole. Do we get to help you chose a new knife? 😉

Welcome Paraffin. You from Seattle? I think there are a few mwmbers from the NW USA here.

Not in Seattle, but within day trip range. I'm out here on the Olympic Peninsula across the Sound.

Welcome fo the rabbit hole. Do we get to help you chose a new knife? 😉

Of course! :) Just have to get my thoughts together about what I'd like first, and then I'll post using the questionnaire for some guidance. Thanks again for the welcome.

Latest posts

Back