Quantcast
Thicker Gyuto / Western Deba - Use/choice questions

Thread: Thicker Gyuto / Western Deba - Use/choice questions

Thicker Gyuto / Western Deba - Use/choice questions

Hi

What would be a good choice for a thicker Gyuto or western deba in the 240mm range ?

Ive got the MAC cleaver and ive tried several times ( i am not great yet but ive done several other knives with seemingly good results )and had it sharpened professionally and I just cant get anything like the sharpness I would like. Im not sure if its me or if a new knife is the answer so if i did go a new knife the first choice appears to be the Hattori Forum 240, any other good ideas ? stainless or carbon is fine. The Hattori is reasonably expensive so a cheaper alternative would be great, not the Tojiro though, ive tried twice and I just cant live with their F&F no matter how good the blade might be.

Please let me know if im just barking mad here and its really me not the MAC that is the problem, the reason i want more sharpness is that the MAC just feels dull going through food and its not what I was expecting.

My last question is potentially stupid but how do you know what is unreasonable to cut with a laser gyuto ? it just feels to me that things like hard root vegatables are to much, am i being to careful ?

Alan

When you say that you had it professionally sharpened, who did the sharpening? Just because someone charges to "sharpen" a knife does not necessarily mean that the edge is correctly prepared.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Thinness does not exclude a knife from getting the hell beat out of it. Bad steel will chip and roll at the edge regardless, and thinness on hard veg only adds to flex. A turnip will not break a sheet of steel.

Who sharpened your knife?

You should be able to achieve a very nice edge on your MAC. As for limitations on laser-thin knives, there's nothing I would do with a thin knife that I would with a thicker knife. The trade-off is thicker knives generally release better but wedge more. Thin knives wedge less but food sticks to them more. I wouldn't use either to chop bones or frozen food. That's where a western deba, or cleaver comes in.