• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

High end Jnats: Suitas, Asagis and Kiitas

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Needing funds for a family project, I need to sell some of my rocks.

#1 Okudo Shiro Suita

HS 60
427g
190*42*20mm
Fast, gives a creamy slurry after few strokes.
Very forgiving, definitely a contrast stone.
Useful hardness, it gives a semi-mirror on the core but won't scratch the cladding.

$170

#2 Ohzuku Awasedo Asagi

HS56
695g
180*65*25mm
A beast, very fast, very soft feeling but agressive shaping power.
Fine grit but with contrast.

$240

#3 Ohira Suita Aka Renge Koppa
HS71
266g
130*74*17mm

You need nagura with this one. Very hard, it feels like HS100!
A lot of renge.

$120

The next stones are like ultimate stones.
Soft and forgiving on the clad but giving the finest mirror edge.
These soft stones don't scratch the clad.
You can feel highest sarpening level on them.
Some are faster than others but it is generaly difficult to make picture of a blade sharpened only two minutes with them.
They are like ultra high end tools more than collector items to my eyes.

#4 Nakayama Kiita
HS49
2,028 µm
392g
182*63*8mm

Very nice creamy slurry, soft feeling. Useful shaping power.
You can feel highest sharpening level.
Beautiful mirror. Top.

$320

#5 Ohira Ao Renge benchstone & nagura

HS70 for both
1090g sealed
73g for the nagura
This is the blackest and fastest black renge I've ever seen.
Very fast stone. It smells like sulfur.
Fine grit feels hard but leaves a nice clad.
Extremely useful.

$1500

This is what this Ao can do:

https://youtu.be/C8CPeyNP1tA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRq3RbV_RUI&feature=youtu.be

#6 Nakayama Kiita
HS39
2,278µm
490g
186*65*12mm

Wonderful shaping power. Top feeling.
Its softness won't scratch anything.
Very useful stone!

$460

#7 Ohira Awasedo Asagi
HS51
2,96µm
437g
162*59*20

Good shaping power
Mirror but with good contrast.

$220

Not very representative because I tested all the stones on the same knife but it looked like this after one minute ;-)

https://youtu.be/cy5AdB1Q4O0

#8 Mizuasagi, Nakayama, Umegahata, Kyoto
HS59
3,759µm
610g
166*57*27mm

not the fastest, feels harder than it is. This one gives a nice mirror. It could remind me the effect of an Ao Renge.

$240

#9 Narutaki Jizuya
HS50
2,446µm
612g
180*50*32mm

An other ultimate stone. Top feeling.
Finest mirror, beautiful on soft clad.
Perfect for razors too.

$470

This what this stone can do:

Price are + shipping worldwide and ppfees

Sorry for the pictures, I am not very good photographer and couldn't take pictures showing the real effect of each stone (for Ao Renge and Narutaki Jizuya, I guess pictures are believable and useful).
Also, using the same knife for so many fine stones, it is normal that the the effect of the last stone tested will be finer, shinier, even if it would be the "weakest" stone.

Measurements on the Ao Renge? Afraid it's out of my price range.. but a guy can dream!

Measurements on the Ao Renge? Afraid it's out of my price range.. but a guy can dream!

Thanks !
Measurements of the Ao and nagura are:
195*82*26mm
47*45*15mm

yes this one is more expensive but a very useful tool and it seems it won't get used so it can be used decades.

Some people have difficulties to understand the price difference.
I see it sometimes like driving a car. With an entry level Peugeot you can drive from A to B, like you would do with a Lamborghini but I guess you would enjoy the trip differently.

Should have to pay money just to browse this thread. Nutmeg can only imagine what you're keeping.

Actually I am keeping a very minimalistic collection, about 20 Pieces including synthetics.

I am keeping very similar stones: three Nakayama, one Ao Renge, two Asagi, a middle hard Suita, AI#1000, Kitayama#8000 and Many many Uchigumoris.

I mean, stones for sell here are no leftovers or garbage. They are all top quality, I could use them only the rest of my life and be happy but I needed to make choices.. :-(

#1 Okudo Shiro Suita HS60: $170
#2 Ohzuku Awasedo Asagi HS56: $240
#3 Ohira Suita Aka Renge Koppa HS71: SPF
#4 Nakayama Kiita HS49: $320
#5 Ohira Ao Renge benchstone & nagura HS70: $1500
#6 Nakayama Kiita HS39: $460
#7 Ohira Awasedo Asagi HS51: $220
#8 Mizuasagi, Nakayama HS59: $240
#9 Narutaki Jizuya HS50: retracted

The buyer pays the shipping but I can absorb the Paypal fees.

BTW, it is possible to get much more but, maybe 60 seconds with the #6 Nakayama without nagura on the tip of this petty Kintaro Ame:

Every times when nutmeg posts a stone selling post, my mouth is wide opened and drooling.

I received Jnats from nutmeg today -- excellent stones and very careful packaging. Buy w confidence. :doublethumbsup:

Every times when nutmeg posts a stone selling post, my mouth is wide opened and drooling.

Thanks but I guess I won't post any pictures next time. Pictures and angle view lie too much.
The results you guys see here, you won't get them at home on an rusty knife after 50 strokes. This magic stone doesn't exist ;-)

I guess sound samples of sharpening should be helpful to judge the quality of a stone. That's exactly why I retracted the sale of the Narutaki, just because of its no-sound-sharpening that gives an impression of perfect ultimate sharpening. Even if the Kiitas HS39 or 49 performs "better"-> finer and stronger shaping power. But at the end the feeling is important on a Jnat.
And if they were smell samples, you would be impressed by the sulfurous Ao renge! :p

#1 Okudo Shiro Suita HS60: SPF
#2 Ohzuku Awasedo Asagi HS56: $240
#3 Ohira Suita Aka Renge Koppa HS71: SPF
#4 Nakayama Kiita HS49: $320
#5 Ohira Ao Renge benchstone & nagura HS70: $1500
#6 Nakayama Kiita HS39: $460
#7 Ohira Awasedo Asagi HS51: SPF
#8 Mizuasagi, Nakayama HS59: $240
#9 Narutaki Jizuya HS50: retracted

The buyer pays the shipping but I can absorb the Paypal fees.

Back