Combo stone for Globals

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazarus

Reaction score
BLUF: Looking for either a combo stone or pair of cheap stones to sharpen Global knives.

My step dad has a set of absolutely trashed globals (he sent to Sur La Table to sharpen, oops) I don't usually deal with globals and spent some time and sand paper + newspaper trying to breathe life into one.

I'd like a stone he can get back into using stones for so I can send him a couple nicer knives that won't get sent to SLT.

Just don't do it. Buy them one of the global pull through sharpeners and leave it at that

Just don't do it. Buy them one of the global pull through sharpeners and leave it at that

I know sharpening Global's is ass, believe me I do. I want a couple cheapo stones to get him practice so I don't come back and see a couple Gesshin Gingas that have been ground into oblivion.

Ahhh well as long as you know what you are in for...

All i can suggest is maybe some cheapo diamond plates from the hardware store or searching say aliexpress and seeing what they have to offer

The Watanabe's AI #1000 is a great value stone that works quite well with Globals IMO. You may need a cheap AlO stone to set the bevel if they're in bad shape.

EDIT: Avoid the the Global (Minosharp) pull through. Had it, hated it, returned it. This was a long time ago; now I'd avoid all pull throughs.

I know sharpening Global's is ass, believe me I do. I want a couple cheapo stones to get him practice so I don't come back and see a couple Gesshin Gingas that have been ground into oblivion.

The grits you'd use for Globals aren't the same as those you'd use on a Gesshin Ginga. Soft knives like globals don't need anything more refined than a 1000 grit edge, while the much harder Gingas can take a useful 5000/6000 grit edge.

That said, get him a Norton 220/1000 combo waterstone for the Globals: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006NFDOY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20.

When (and if) you get him better knives, get him a higher grit stone like a Gesshin 4000 or a Suehiro Rika 5000.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will do on the Nortons Pcola, appreciate the feedback.

Noted Marek, just ordered the Norton that Pensacola mentioned, it's got the nice low grit to fix the bevels.

Had good luck on my parents global with my travel combo stone. Nubat ama .. 150/1200.

The 150 was completely neccisary due to how think behind the edge they were. No idea if they ship that way or if that was abuse.

They ship with a pretty thick "convex" grind and the edges are fairly rough

Foam_Rubber_Cinder_Block_Grey_Stack_grande.jpg

The Watanabe's AI #1000 is a great value stone that works quite well with Globals IMO. You may need a cheap AlO stone to set the bevel if they're in bad shape.

EDIT: Avoid the the Global (Minosharp) pull through. Had it, hated it, returned it. This was a long time ago; now I'd avoid all pull throughs.
Gotta disagree with you Marek.

While this issue has been solved, I think the minosharp is a perfectly useful tool for its intended purpose and market. It puts a usable edge back on globals in a relatively short time. It won't thin or anything like that but the people who use it won't ever consider thinning so why worry about that.

I think sometimes for forget that hand sharpening and maintaining is the exception rather than the norm.

Gotta disagree with you Marek.

While this issue has been solved, I think the minosharp is a perfectly useful tool for its intended purpose and market. It puts a usable edge back on globals in a relatively short time. It won't thin or anything like that but the people who use it won't ever consider thinning so why worry about that.

I think sometimes for forget that hand sharpening and maintaining is the exception rather than the norm.
Point taken. When I got the Minosharp, I thought it actually dulled my Globals. I wasn't using waterstones back then but was still doing hand sharpening. I recently gifted some Ikea 365+ knives and also gave them the Ikea pull through. Guess I should take my own advice. :O
Thought that the OP wanted his father to progress in his sharpening and the pull through wouldn't help in that regard. As you said, it's been solved - the Norton combo suggested by Rick will fit the bill nicely.

Globals has a carbide pullout problem esp when yu use a course grit and it gets thin.. if yu need to use a 220 to shape rhe edgeprofile.. do it at a high angle... then at 400 grit and above. .. yr regular sharpening angle.. Normally i do not go below 400grit as i do not like after sharpening... only to see a small nick.. due to carbide pull out.

Thats my experience on this knives

Rgds z

Point taken. When I got the Minosharp, I thought it actually dulled my Globals. I wasn't using waterstones back then but was still doing hand sharpening. I recently gifted some Ikea 365+ knives and also gave them the Ikea pull through. Guess I should take my own advice. :O
Thought that the OP wanted his father to progress in his sharpening and the pull through wouldn't help in that regard. As you said, it's been solved - the Norton combo suggested by Rick will fit the bill nicely.
Maybe just starting points. I always found I could put usable edges on knives with the minosharp before I got into stone (free hand sharpening).

Where they equal to what I get now of course not. But I could make dinner with them.... its all relative really

I went Naniwa 600 and king 1200 as the cheapest set I could find. Works well enough bit be prepared for it to take ages!

I must be the exception that finds sharpening Global's straight forward and no hassle. Shapton Glass 500, 2k, diamond loaded strop and done. Burr comes up quickly on 500, gets refined away on 2k, and strop cleans off the edge.

If you do get them a combo stone, I'd include a bit of leather glued to a board as a strop.

I must be the exception that finds sharpening Global's straight forward and no hassle. Shapton Glass 500, 2k, diamond loaded strop and done. Burr comes up quickly on 500, gets refined away on 2k, and strop cleans off the edge.

If you do get them a combo stone, I'd include a bit of leather glued to a board as a strop.

That is exactly what I do for softer stainless as well.

I sharpened more globals than I care to remember. They were also my practice knives when learning freehand sharpening. I find they sharpen much like other softer stainless, nothing dramatic. I do everything with a glass 500 and then maybe 1-2 deburring strokes on a 8000. They benefit from a coarse edge just like a Wusthof or Henckel would.

I´ve also sharpened more than my share of Globals. I think an important factor in moving them along is to start with a very low grit. Earlier, I often started with a 1000 grit stone and went on forever. Nowadays I always start with the JNS 300, JNS 800, Aoto (synth. or Jnat) - some times I finish with a Suehiro 6000 grit. They like each other :)
At one time I seriously thinned a Global cleaver. That I´ll never do again.
- Kim

Latest posts

Back