• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Aizu, renege suita, SG6K

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwalker

Reaction score
Aizu from Watanabe. 212x65x30. 1170g with base, 880g stone only. I have lacquered the sides and bottom and glued it to a base I made out of jatoba. Base is lacquered as well. These stones are well respected for their awesome working edges on gyutos and this one is no different. Asking $200 shipped CONUS. Buyer responsible for paypal fees if any. You can see Shinichi' s description and comments here. It is the #1 Aizu
eNl8C1s.png

VibsbMe.jpg

w3e7Oom.jpg

nFKK4Wq.jpg

Ohira (i think) Shiro suita with renege koppa. 150x59x13 250g
This is a thin koppa that has a useful shape and is of very high quality. It is pretty hard but will make inky bkack swarf pretty quickly. Best used with a nagura if you are new to harder stones. Makes very nice kasumi and is a great shape for sharpening. It sits in my stone holder just fine. Here is a chance to try out a high quality renge suita stone without breaking the bank. Asking $200 shipped CONUS. Buyer to pay fees if any. Kasumi pics are no oil with minimal work.
WmMbHMk.jpg

kJxWq5n.jpg

jxfsE7p.jpg

zaRLZth.jpg

1RNYHoQ.jpg

Shapton Glass 6k. Picked this up as part of a bundle package and is a duplicate for me. Very lightly used, still measures the original 5mm. $50 shipped CONUS.
5fYf0lr.jpg

zQNSUJq.jpg

If anybody wants all 3, I will do $400 shipped CONUS. Thanks for looking.

Many Aizu have black dots. They cannot be felt and are not a negative aspect. I don't know if they contribute favorably for sharpening, but they make the appearance more interesting.

Price drop.
Aizu $190
Shapton $40
$220 for both shipped CONUS

Shapton is SOLD.

Aizu is all that is left @ $190 CONUS

As requested, here are some pics of the Aizu in action. I started with a king 300 to lay down a scratch pattern. I chased that with a SG1K and then directly to the Aizu to see how well it cleaned up a 1k finish. Let me say that an Aizu would not be my first choice for a kasumi finish, but it does an admirable job. Other stones are easier to use for this purpose. I feel like the long lasting aggressive edge is where the Aizu shines through. Many say that the Aizu is not a beginner stone. I agree with that for the most part, but if you kick up some slurry with a diamond plate, they become much more user friendly.
King 300
P4vlJUs.jpg

SG1K
y6bJew2.jpg

Aizu with water only. This is after about 1 minute of work
jrrvEwC.jpg

c8IVmPh.jpg

It cleaned up the scratch pattern pretty quickly, but the appearance wasn't consistent. I wasn't pleased with the progress, this was my first attempt at kasumi with this stone. Also, the bevel on this funiyuki is huge and I was having difficulty with keeping things even. I decided to kick up a little mud with an atoma 140 and things got alot easier and faster after. Again, this is my first attempt with this stone, so I certainly don't have it all figured out for kasumi.
szGSUuO.jpg

H7wPSlk.jpg

7mI2QEn.jpg

In the end, it made a good contrasting, even kasumi finish that is quite attractive. Again, the edge an Aizu produces is its forte and that is what I always used this for. I would also like to note that this stone is on the medium- soft end of the Aizu range. In fact, it was the softest available from Watanabe out of a couple dozen stones he had at the time. It is a good stone and I hope it finds a good home, but I certianly won't be too sad if I can't sell it. On the contrary, after using it this afternoon, I'm regretting my decision to sell it. I will probably leave it up through the weekend and then put it back with its friends if it doesn't sell. Thanks for looking.

Latest posts

Back