Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trial in a fancy restaurant on Tuesday. Any tips?

The key to a stage (pronounced staj), is to ask questions and be alert. Be ready to handle any task given to you. Usually only chef positions should be expected to produce a meal. Line cooks should be given prep tasks, and maybe work a position side by side with another cook. Be confident but not cocky.

I always provide a meal at the end of the shift (usually two to three hours).
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

How did it go?

Sorry for not updating everyone on this, was sorta waiting on someone getting back to me so didn't wanna say much. The trial went pretty well, didn't really have to do a whole lot to be honest but I liked the place and got on well with everyone. Managed to cut myself which was rather dumb after sharpening all my knives the night before but nobody really said anything. Got offered the job, but when it came to talk about money it just didn't happen. After numerous attempts at contacting the Chef to talk to him about it, I have given up. I was willing to take a pretty big pay cut but it wasn't to be. Would have been a great career move but I'll just try somewhere else, least I already have a job so there isn't such a hurry

So he just kept blowing you off, or the offers you kept getting were way too low?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

I rang him 4 times to talk specifics about pay and every time he said he was too busy and he'd get back to me. Said he'd ring me in half an hour 2 weeks ago. I think they were looking for a few new people so maybe they just liked someone better?

Well it could either be a cheap blow off d!ck move, or he is really just busy. I know my chef forgets stuff that isnt the utmost importance, and I know I did when I was in charge.

The thing is, if you are short people, you usually want to get them in right away. And why offer you the job if you are planning on just avoiding the topic of pay? It does seem weird.

Have you tried going there in person? Just let them know you are still available if they are still in need.

One thing that might be the reason is that I said I would probably have to work a month's notice in my current job so maybe that put them off? I'm kinda over the whole thing, if someone can't get back to you after 4 times then they aren't worth the hassle. I was probably gonna be taking a sizeable paycut and working more hours anyway so I shall leave it as it is

Very true. Your month's notice would be more than half over by now if they had just hired you immediately!

Bad juju. Move on to the next place. When I was unemployed at the beginning of the year, I trailed at a place, was offered the job, had a bad feeling about it, declined, and now I am at the best place I have ever worked. So just keep at it.

And try to work it so you don't have to give a months notice. Kitchens usually need someone asap.

I think there's a chance I wouldn't have to work the notice because the place I work keeps saying they need to pay someone off. I've also been there for nearly 8 years so I think they might not be that strict about it. But saying that, technically they could make me work it and I can't really ask because they'll get a bit suspicious if you get me and when I go to jobs I sorta have to tell them. I'm sorta over it and I'll just look for somewhere else, I guess it sorta helped my confidence a little and it was nice to see somewhere else for a change

What was it about the place you trialled at that gave you a bad feeling Johnny?