Which Forschner Boning Knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CompE

Reaction score
I can often find different bone-in lamb steaks and chops, but can't usually find lamb stew meat. So, I end up buying a shoulder chop or leg steak and I'll bone it and cube it for lamb stew or a lamb curry. I often use a paring knife or petty for the job, but it never feels like I have the right tool for the job.

Since this is a very specific purpose, I want to go cheap and I know that Forschner/Victorinox Fibrox boning knives get some love here, but there are a lot of options. Straight or curved? Flexible, semi-flexible or stiff? Narrow, extra-wide or neither? Which one is best for my specific purpose? Which is the best for general purpose boning?

Thanks in advance.

My favorite Forschner boning was narrow & very stiff. Can't find it anymore don't think Victorinox makes it.

The knife I do most of my deer boning (100 plus) with is a 6-inch, straight, narrow F. Dick flex. Vic makes a very similar knife that should work as well. But a curved blade probably does work better for trimming jobs. Why not two?

I end up buying a shoulder chop or leg steak and I'll bone it ...

How big of portions are your talking about?

some retail portions are so small that boning knives
meant for sub-primal portioning or hanging meat etc
are not going to be a huge benefit.

whereas having a bone-friendly steel blade
might be very useful indeed, somewhat
regardless of shape.

I'd also throw out there that boning knife
is really great when you want the specific
shape/feature you don't have on another knife

size, flex, blade curve ... etc may depend on what else you have
usually you are cursing for "if only I had X" :)

Straight or curved, wide or narrow, et al, are all pretty subjective. My favorite "cheap" boning knife is a Forgecraft boner, ran me about $15 on ebay including shipping. After a little refurb it's great. Also like (but don't tell anyone) the Wustie boning knife I was given after helping at a Wusthof demo/class. Stainless, some curve, can take a bump, I think it retails in the $50 neighborhood. And then there are the nice ones, Silverthorne, Marko, that ain't too bad either but priced beyond a casual interest.

Victorinox curved, semi-flex. Comes in a rosewood handle. First boning knife I used when I started working at a whole animal butcher, and what I would recommend to anyone, pro or home user. Stainless, cheap, very easy to use and learn technique on -- semi flex is very forgiving and makes contouring seams or around bones or even skinning very intuitive until you learn to properly use a stiffer knife

My favorite Forschner boning was narrow & very stiff. Can't find it anymore don't think Victorinox makes it.

I have the rosewood straight boning knife and it is stiff. They do make a normal an flex version. I don't know if the Fibrox handled versions offer both. It is quite narrow too. It is what I use to process game.

I can often find different bone-in lamb steaks and chops, but can't usually find lamb stew meat. So, I end up buying a shoulder chop or leg steak and I'll bone it and cube it for lamb stew or a lamb curry. I often use a paring knife or petty for the job, but it never feels like I have the right tool for the job.

Since this is a very specific purpose, I want to go cheap and I know that Forschner/Victorinox Fibrox boning knives get some love here, but there are a lot of options. Straight or curved? Flexible, semi-flexible or stiff? Narrow, extra-wide or neither? Which one is best for my specific purpose? Which is the best for general purpose boning?

Thanks in advance.

For the task you described I would go with a straight (not curved) stiff boner. Forschner is legendary for the price, but there's also cheapo Henkel and wustie lines nowadays. I would recommend something other than traditional western triple riveted handles, as I always found them to be really slippery when using for this sort of butchery. Fibrox handles are so ugly, but they make so much sense.

RCS_RoundSteak-005CC.jpg

>https://www.shepherdsongfarm.com/shop/lamb-meat/lamb-leg-steak/

BSG_LambNeck-005-300x300.jpg

>https://www.shepherdsongfarm.com/shop/shanks-stews-necks/lamb-neck/

I think its worth thinking about the type of cuts needed.

Straight or curved, wide or narrow, et al, are all pretty subjective. My favorite "cheap" boning knife is a Forgecraft boner, ran me about $15 on ebay including shipping. After a little refurb it's great. Also like (but don't tell anyone) the Wustie boning knife I was given after helping at a Wusthof demo/class. Stainless, some curve, can take a bump, I think it retails in the $50 neighborhood. And then there are the nice ones, Silverthorne, Marko, that ain't too bad either but priced beyond a casual interest.

Ha! I love my wusthof gran-prix boning knife. I wheel barreled a deer into my backyard. Put all my hunting knives away and went with my kitchen boning blade. It was fantastic. I can't remember what a paid. It was decades ago.

I guess I just need to dive in and buy one... and then probably buy another one (bunch of enablers). I'm going to start with a Fibrox curved semi-stiff 6" boning knife. In the future, I'll look for something straight.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back