Opinions on my food?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivera

Reaction score
Hi guys! So I take cooking very seriously and I believe that it is an art. I'm a chef currently at the Boathouse in Martha's Vineyard and it's my first time being a sous chef. That said, its given me the opportunity to create dishes and really establish the kind of cuisine I place myself behind.

I'm 20 years old, so I have a looooong way to go but I would really appreciate it if you guys could take a moment and check out some dishes that I've made and give me some critique.

Please point me in the right direction in terms of plating and ingredients. I have a major influence from French cuisine but I try to touch bases on all cultures of food.

https://www.instagram.com/mnythings/?hl=en

Check out my Instagram please! All comments welcome, especially constructive criticism!

That's some pretty work. If your not happy with any of it send it my way and I would be happy to get rid of it for you! :D Looks delicious!!

Looks very nice indeed.

As someone who has been making a living doing this for 40 years my advice to you is:

I keep in mind an old army quote, "tactics are nice but logistics win wars".

I consider the menu as tactics. Supplying, assembling, serving and completing the menu in an efficient manner are the logistics. One isn't much good without the other.

Good luck in your career goals.

Very nice. Color contrast,texture contrast, appropriate ratio of ingredients...everything looks on point. The duck dish presentation really stands out to me. You're only 20 years old? Bravo!

Your food looks excellent. Your portion control would piss me off.

Not a pro here. Will you please expand upon this?

I see some "hearty" plates and some "tweezer" sized dishes BUT they are different dishes so I assumed they were supposed to be that way?

Not a pro here either. I don't really expect a full plate of food either (like at a fried seafood joint;)) but after I eat an entree I like to feel like I've actually eaten something. I can imagine that the food likely tastes as good as it looks and I only meant to say that I truly feel like those portions are a bit on the light side...and if it tastes that good that I would be a bit pissy that I didn't get more...if these are appetizers them i stand corrected...I saw the pics on my phone...and my guess is that the actual food cost as a percentage of meal cost is likely on the low side (I'm often wrong:)).

Just offering my 'constructive' criticism of some awesome looking food. That said, I'm a hungry americun...feed me.

Got it. To be honest this is much finer dining than I've experienced on a regular basis so I didn't know if there were rules against making sure your guests left feeling full :grin:

Not a pro here. Will you please expand upon this?

I see some "hearty" plates and some "tweezer" sized dishes BUT they are different dishes so I assumed they were supposed to be that way?

To kind of clear up on the questions people have on the portion sizing it really depends on what course the dishes are meant to be. Some dishes are small due to them being more of a first course dish (Such as salads, soups, etc.) while the main courses are a bit bigger but not too big. At the restaurant people typically order three courses (App, Main, Dessert). This is the typical way in which almost everybody eats at the Boathouse.

Back