Difference in 210 Gyuto and Petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razor

Reaction score
As the title asks, when is a 210 Gyuto a Petty knife. What characteristics make this determination. I have a Toshihirosaku Wakui 240mm Gyuto that is very narrow and more like a Petty than my 240 Yashamin Gyuto.

Generally, a gyuto has sufficient clearance for easy board use while a petty doesn't, but the distinction is not clearcut. If I had to give a number, it would be around 32-34 mm.

By the way, don't get hung up on names.

I actually don't understand the allure of a 210mm petty. I'd be banging my knuckles on the board. I need the clearance of a gyuto. My 150mm petty is 33mm tall and that is borderline too short.

As the title asks, when is a 210 Gyuto a Petty knife. What characteristics make this determination. .....

Mostly it's subjective and in the eyes of the owner.

I have a normal 180 Petty that I use like a short suji - killer on silverskin and portioning smaller cuts. And I have a 180 Gyuto that I use like a tall petty for board work on smaller items.

Don't sweat the names, find what you like and buy accordingly.

I actually don't understand the allure of a 210mm petty. I'd be banging my knuckles on the board. I need the clearance of a gyuto. My 150mm petty is 33mm tall and that is borderline too short.

that can all be fixed with a slight adjustment in body positioning

The difference is viable angle of attack on a cutting board.

that can all be fixed with a slight adjustment in body positioning

Could you elaborate on this? The knife body or my actual body? I understand if I don't do the pinch grip then I'm not banging my knuckles, but the pinch grip works for me.

Could you elaborate on this? The knife body or my actual body? I understand if I don't do the pinch grip then I'm not banging my knuckles, but the pinch grip works for me.

sure... the pinch grip is the same... i talk about it (and show it) in this video just around the 1 minute mark

[video=youtube;6c4RD5E4vcs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c4RD5E4vcs[/video]

sure... the pinch grip is the same... i talk about it (and show it) in this video just around the 1 minute mark

[video=youtube;6c4RD5E4vcs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c4RD5E4vcs[/video]

Thank you! Makes sense now.

A 210 gyuto is a petty knife when it looks at the other knives with snobbish disdain as it feels it is superior in form and function.

I have one gyuto so petty that it put on an expensive robe and slippers, lit a Cuban cigar, and swore to never touch another cutting board again until all other knives I owned were sold on the BST.

Shuns are like that sometimes.....
Especially the Shun Hiros. Last time I will ever buy a hammer finished damascus. Nothing but ego driven self absorbed drama queens.

To the OP, large pettys and small gyutos are for women, children, and line cooks who forced to work on small cutting boards.

I normally judge on blade height and surface area.

Back