What is the most wear-resistant steel for pocket knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark76

Reaction score
It's a bit off-topic, since it doesn't concern kitchen knives. But we nowadays have a number of "super steels", whatever that exactly may be. What do you think is the most wear-resistant knife that is also resilient enough? I am waiting for a Para 3 Maxamet, but I don’t know whether that would be the best choice.

I like M390. You can get it razor sharp and it seems to stay that way forever.

I'd say maxamet is up there. Out of somewhat available steels, only something like k390, A11, 10V might come somewhat close as far as wear resistance, but at that point it would heavily depend on what you actually cut with the knife. Also like with kitchen knives, steel is only one part of it. I think you would have a very tough time finding anything more wear resistant than maxamet at 67-68 HRC, the way spyderco does it. The above mentioned "super steels" could probably come close at the same hardness, but they are usually held at a very "low" 63-64 HRC.... Anyway, at these wear resistance levels, the differences are probably academic and the knife's abilities are affected more by other design features. If most of what you will do with para 3 is open letters, boxes, and cut cardboard, I don't think you will find any production folder that will last longer.

I have been carrying a Swiss Army Knife for damn near 4 years. I prefer "easy to sharpen" now. All my Benchmades are collecting dust.

get a spyderco in blue super, you will appreciate how much easier it is to sharpen. longer lasting edge is not worth the pain in the ass it is to sharpen those 'super steels'

I have the M390 & the Super blue. Use the M390 as a beater blade mostly yardwork. It is rather hard to sharpen has good edge retention.

The Super Blue is my favorite spyderco. Has the best grind & easy to sharpen. Use it as my carry blade. Got a smaller ZDP189 but like the Blue better.

Are you guys using waterstones or diamonds? With diamonds given how small these blades are, it really shouldn't be that hard. It's not like anyone thins pocket knives and very few people reprofile them. Para 3 is pretty small, so shouldn't be hard to sharpen with diamond plate or diamond strop even in maxamet or k390, m390, Elmax, etc. super blue or military in 52100 will be much easier ofcourse.

Why is wear resistance desirable? Edge holding yes but extreme wear resistance means hard to sharpen to me. I've used every super steel Spyderco has put out but I really never pay much attention most of the time. I do like the Hap40-Su5410 laminated blades. Holds a good edge and cut very well on my Endura.

OP asked about most wear resistant steel for a pocket knife. Your question is perfectly valid too. It could be desirable if someone is planning on cutting highly abrasive materials (cardboard, fiberglass, etc), since high wear resistance seems to correlate with good edge holding when cutting such materials. You are absolutely correct that edge holding is the goal, but it is too hard to figure out without using the knife since too many variables exist that determine it. So as a shortcut people look at the steel, (hardness, wear resistance, etc) and try to predict what the edge holding will be like.

Sharpen M390 on diamond stone. It has a lot of toughness will get sharp but takes more effort. I remember for a while CKTG were selling a M390 gyuto. I already had my spyderco didn't think it was such a good idea putting it in a chef knife. Don't think they still carry them.

There are powder steels that that are easy to sharpen & have good edge retention. I have a really thick small carbon blade that takes on tough jobs.

I do want to try Elmax

So far in my experience this is among my favorite steels for a utility pocket knife, if not my favorite. I've owned folders with Elmax, D2, ZDP189, VG10, S30V, S35VN, CTS-XHP, CTS-204P, CPM-154, ATS34, CPM-3V, 13c26, 20CV and probably a few others. Elmax stands out in my mind as needing minimal maintenance and worry-free use. I mostly find myself using pocket knifes for cutting boxes, paper, plants, and some whittling, and very occasionally food prep. Some steels like ZDP189 and CTS-204P/20CV that are supposed to have superior edge holding just weren't that much better than Elmax (which isn't all that much better than S30V), and are much more difficult for me to sharpen. And I worried about using those extra hard steels for whittling, whereas my Elmax knife (ZT551) is my go to knife for the outdoors because I never hesitate to use it for cutting branches or whittling. IMO, XHP is a decent choice for those jobs, too. Elmax and XHP may not be the sexiest steels, but they are probably my favorites for general use.

CPM-S125V is pretty crazy for wear resistance on pocket knives. The Fantoni HB-01 has always been a bit of a favourite of mine.

M4 also has a pretty big following.

So far in my experience this is among my favorite steels for a utility pocket knife, if not my favorite. I've owned folders with Elmax, D2, ZDP189, VG10, S30V, S35VN, CTS-XHP, CTS-204P, CPM-154, ATS34, CPM-3V, 13c26, 20CV and probably a few others. Elmax stands out in my mind as needing minimal maintenance and worry-free use. I mostly find myself using pocket knifes for cutting boxes, paper, plants, and some whittling, and very occasionally food prep. Some steels like ZDP189 and CTS-204P/20CV that are supposed to have superior edge holding just weren't that much better than Elmax (which isn't all that much better than S30V), and are much more difficult for me to sharpen. And I worried about using those extra hard steels for whittling, whereas my Elmax knife (ZT551) is my go to knife for the outdoors because I never hesitate to use it for cutting branches or whittling. IMO, XHP is a decent choice for those jobs, too. Elmax and XHP may not be the sexiest steels, but they are probably my favorites for general use.

This is a great example of why steel used is just one part of it. CTS-204P/cv20/m390 are basically the same steel by different manufacturers. Elmax is very close to these steels and could be argued to be the same especially given the realm of pocket knife use. The differences in performance and sharpening are most likely due to different profiles and heat treat and not the chemical differences in these steels.

This is a great example of why steel used is just one part of it. CTS-204P/cv20/m390 are basically the same steel by different manufacturers. Elmax is very close to these steels and could be argued to be the same especially given the realm of pocket knife use. The differences in performance and sharpening are most likely due to different profiles and heat treat and not the chemical differences in these steels.

Very good point. Elmax has a very similar profile of alloying elements as those others. I agree that the heat treat and profiles will have a big difference, although I'd doubt that ZT got the heat treat with their Elmax that much better than Spyderco and Hinderer got with 204P and CV20 (if Hinderer even did the heat treat). The whittling tasks with the ZT551 are probably not ones I'd take on with an elmax blade with a thinner profile, so you make a great point.

Yoshi's white is not bad. Neither is Harner's CTS-XHP. Another case where the maker is as important if not more so than the steel?

2015-01-14 19.00.14.jpg

2015-01-16 22.14.30.jpg

If you don`t mind a hard sharpening i would recommend REX 121..... Kicks ass... But it is very sensitive but edge holds nearly for ever..... For a good compromise HAP 40! (even hard to beat for kitchen knives, easy sharpening, alsmost stainless and very good edge retention....) And it gets as sharp as Shirogami...... (like every steel do! ;) )

Greets SEbastian.

Back