SLT Kramer sharpening Kit

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a little overpriced, but I look at it as a good sign. If you can sell water stones and a sink bridge to everyday folks, it's a good sign for the high end cutlery market and it's accessories.

I wonder if these stones are rebadged oem stones, like how the Miyabi stones are Choseras.

Oh snap - Glasstones.....that's the best thing that GS's are good for - marketing through the glass backing - brilliant! :D

Lol! I think high end knife popularity is good but they should not advocate people putting a $400 knife on the stones themselves if they are ill-informed enough to pay that much for mystery stones.

I don't know why there's any hesitation. It says RIGHT THERE on the site it's a $475 value. So it's clearly a super bargain. (To be read as deadpan as manageable).

A little over priced? :) I seriously doubt very many "everyday folks," even one's that cook for a living are going to see this as a good deal.

There are plenty of worse deals at SLT that people gobble up all the time. How much would a 3 stone and sink bridge set cost you online? Add the standard brick and mortar markup, and it isn't that outrageous. They know what they can sell it for. They know making it MORE expensive makes it more desirable at the same time, to a certain type of customer.

Assuming that they are Shapton Glass stones. An online vendor has a three set going for $178.00.
A sink bridge for $54.00.
A nagura for $22.95.
A Murray Carter Sharpening Video for $34.95
Total = $289.90

What Sur la Table is charging for the set, doesn't appear to be over priced.

Jay

This happens in every industry, a company like SLT brings things to the mainstream. What harm does it do serious chefs and knife people ? I bet not many serious kitchens use $400 Demeyer fry pans either. Like i say it happens everywhere, I design industrial communication systems for i living and when Im in Best Buy and see the sales guy selling a $120 Monster cable I cringe with the BS they are told, i buy the same cables for $2.50

There will always be a superficial high street market for everything, the thing is and a lot of people wont admit it but a good portion of us started with Shun's and Henckels from SLT or WS.

Be nice guys, more people buying Kramers at SLT means more great Ebay inventory, trust me i know !!!

Alan

Assuming that they are Shapton Glass stones. An online vendor has a three set going for $178.00.
A nagura for $22.95.
Total = $289.90

Jay

They're not Glass Stones. Not real ones anyway. Jay here hinted at it, hence he gets a gold star. ;)

Last time I checked, the only GS that's not white is the #120, and they're showing up as all shades of grey until the #10000, which could be danged near anything. Heck, if they've taken a leaf out of the Norton grit rating scheme, it could be a glorified $200, half thickness, #5000 stone. Wow, what a steal.

I wonder if Shapton has a patent on that glass backed stone idea?

Actually, the first thing I thought of when I saw this was "Psst, wanna buy a bridge?"

Stu.

A nagura for $22.95.
Total = $289.90

Jay

If they were shaptons, they would say so. Don't assume that anything unlabeled its any better than bottom of the barrel.

They're not Glass Stones. Not real ones anyway. Jay here hinted at it, hence he gets a gold star. ;)

Last time I checked, the only GS that's not white is the #120, and they're showing up as all shades of grey until the #10000, which could be danged near anything. Heck, if they've taken a leaf out of the Norton grit rating scheme, it could be a glorified $200, half thickness, #5000 stone. Wow, what a steal.

I wonder if Shapton has a patent on that glass backed stone idea?

Actually, the first thing I thought of when I saw this was "Psst, wanna buy a bridge?"

Stu.

You dont patent the idea, you patent the process to make it. perhaps they just bond them differently. Perhaps gorilla glue.

My first assumption was that they were Glasstones, a mix of the carbon versions & white ones, but then upon closer looking and research with my Google-fu I believe that they're not likely GS's at all. I suspect they're cut in half Naniwa Superstones or possibly Choseras even. I have no idea really though. I still think marketing through the glass backing is brilliant.

Since Henckels already uses rebranded Choseras for their Miyabi line, and since the grit stepping is identical to the Miyabis, it's more likely than not that they are Choseras. Making cut in half Superstones would make less sense, first as they are less expensive, and second since they are softer and dish more quickly. Cut in half Choseras however would make sense.

My bet's on Superstones. Henckels already sells rebranded 220/1000 and 3000/8000 combos, and the 1000 and 3000 stones are the same colour as these stones. They look to be about the same thickness as well.

Maybe I will pick one up with the employee discount and we can see what they are.

Haha yeah, I think the feet should drop down into the sink so it can rest on the lip. But I am sure the photographer who set this up has no idea how to use the thing.

yeah that thing looks like its gonna topple over any second.

it is a beautiful sink bridge tho!

Operator error aside, The sink bridge does look well designed and made. Nice laminated bamboo and i like the built in stone holder.
I guess a chuck of 2x4 and a towel works fine too, but it would probably offend the sensibilities of the average
SLT shopper to have raw building material sitting so close to their granite counter tops and copper clad pans.

Hi I'm Mark ... new to the forum and definitely a newbie to Knife talk and knowledge. In the video that Kramer made for the kit he states that they are Chosera stones . Before this video I had never heard of them and before checking out this forum I had no idea what to do to sharpen my knives myself... outside of the AccuSharp my dad used to sharpen his knives. I was hoping to get an idea as to what to buy for giving the knife sharpening a serious bid. I too thought the SLT Zwilling /Kramer version was overpriced but after looking on the web I'm not so sure. Help !

Go to Japanese Knife Sharpening Store . com or Japanes Knife Imports . com Look for a Beston, Bester, Rika combo. $150

OOOOOOH it's Kramer...It's got to be great!!! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::puke:

BULLLLLLSHIIIIIT! :whistling:

LOL!

My sentiments exactly...

Go to Japanese Knife Sharpening Store . com or Japanes Knife Imports . com Look for a Beston, Bester, Rika combo. $150

Thanks I'll do that ...

I'm wondering if any of you have ever seen the Apex Edge Pro sharpening system ? It looks interesting and may provide less "freehand" mistakes... saw it in a Chowhound discussion :
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/826055

I'm comfortable with tools so I'm leaning more to the traditional whetstone but thought I'd ask the question

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back