Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deba for home cook?

Tojiro Western Deba.... do bear in mind that the with of blade is almost the same as its gyuto... Basically a thick double sided gyuto...

rgds Z

I have a 240 Tojiro DP yo-deba and quite frankly I find myself reaching for it even to clean and fillet whole Atlantic mackerel. My chicken destroying device is a honesuki tho, a deba could never be as nimble around joints nor as useful scraping meat from bone. When I need to go through cooked chicken bones or entire raw carcasses I pull out the 240 yo deba.

Quote Originally Posted by robenco15 View Post
    What is a common use for a Deba in a home kitchen? Even necessary? They intrigue me, but not sure the point.

Thanks!
    Not absolutely necessary. Meant for fish butchery, though you can break down a fish with chefs knife or fillet knife.

That said, get one if you have an interest in traditional Japanese knives and cutting techniques. I have an Uraku deba that I'm very happy with, use it a fair amount. Lots of cool factor holding suck a substantial piece of metal.