• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Watanabe 180 Nakiri BRAND NEW!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a story of the best of service, and the worst of service.

I ordered a 180mm nakiri from Watanabe (professional series, blue steel clad in stainless, KU finish, standard burnt chestnut with plastic ferrule). He shipped the knife promptly, but then it stopped moving when it was about 10 miles from my house (under the care of USPS by this time). I waited a week and a half, then contacted two facilities and spoke to three people. They said the package was most likely totally lost, or badly damaged in transit. They suggested filing a claim.

I contacted Shinichi Watanabe that evening. Within two hours, he had shipped a replacement knife, and filed a claim with EMS, the company he shipped the knife with.

The next day, the package returned from the dead, and lo and behold, was delivered. I contacted Shinichi, but it was too late to stop the second knife.

We decided the best thing was to send the second knife to his next U.S. customer who purchased one.

The second knife arrived today, so I'm looking to reward the excellent customer service from Shinichi. Unfortunately, he's already paid shipping on both knives, so no discount is being offered. Whoever buys this will pay Shinich the 20,000 yen for the knife, plus 3,000 for shipping. Shinichi and I will work out the shipping cost for me to mail the knife to the buyer.

If anyone out there is interested in buying this second knife, and returning the favor back to Shinichi, please let me know (you can also contact him directly--he is usually quite prompt in replying to emails).

Also note that his prices are scheduled to increase 5-10% as of 10/1/2017.

You won't regret it. It's THE Nakiri to have. I habe 60-70 Knives (I lost count) and the Watanabe Pro Nakiri (no with Robin Dalman handle) is my ONLY Nakiri ....

Just make sure to get rid of the handle. It's comfy.... but .... yuck.... plastic .... yuck.... ferrule 🤢

Captain should install that beautiful Dalman handle she snagged in another thread.

Just make sure to get rid of the handle. It's comfy.... but .... yuck.... plastic .... yuck.... ferrule ��

Says the man who had an uber hot handle put on his by Robin...unlike some here *cough Badgertooth* I'm not very good at telling who a knife maker is by the profile alone. UNLESS it's a Watanabe nakiri and those I can spot a mile away.

Still a bit jealous of that by the way, Robin nailed it!:doublethumbsup:

Says the man who had an uber hot handle put on his by Robin...unlike some here *cough Badgertooth* I'm not very good at telling who a knife maker is by the profile alone. UNLESS it's a Watanabe nakiri and those I can spot a mile away.

Still a bit jealous of that by the way, Robin nailed it!:doublethumbsup:

Hehe.... thanks!

I'm sure he'd be open to get you one.

Or, if you wanna go stateside: I can HIGHLY recommend Tony Laseur of Laseurknives. He rehandled three knives for me.... all outstanding!

It's a world of difference between the 165 and 180!

That was the last one for this month! I hate you so much right now! :justkidding:

Also interested in your impressions between Watanabe vs Toyama in 180 length. I just picked up a Toyama and first thing I thought was "boy this is heavy..."

So Toddnmd was superfast in shipping and it's supposed to arrive tomorrow!!! At my hubby's office (which is closed). So I will have to wait until Monday.

Super Uggg!

#firstworldproblems

Back