Sushi Book Recmmendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshstar

Reaction score
Hi

Im looking for a good book that is detailed but approachable about the skils of sushi making, things id like it to cover are how to select and cut the fish, different roll techniques, how to do things like pickling the fish, variuos methods for sushi rice etc.

Alan

I have this one. I am no sushi expert, but the presentation is nice and informative for someone looking to learn the basics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys

I already have two of the books here, just ordered the book Jon suggested.

Alan

"Edomae Sushi" by Kikuo Shimizu just arrived at my desk today. I started reading it while eating my lunch, and so far it's pretty good! Very engaging, very interesting. This one's not so much about the techniques but very much about each ingredient and how to treat it, when it's in season, etc etc.

Amazon only had one review on it, but I'm glad I took a chance on it.

I'm also glad I was eating broiled mackerel while I was reading through the first bit - very fitting to be enjoying seafood while reading about it :)

I just looked at your link. Nice book. I'll be ordering one as well. (You should look into getting an Amazon referral through your website; though I understand Amazon's new sales tax vendor arrangements may not allow it since you are in Cali.)

I actually do have that... but i did this last night from my tablet. If anyone cares, heres the link with my amazon associates ;)

Sushi Book

I just ordered a used book, for $5 shipped. Thanks for the recommendation.

I actually do have that... but i did this last night from my tablet. If anyone cares, heres the link with my amazon associates ;)

Sushi Book

Thanks, I got tied up last night and never ordered it. I'll order through your Amazon link so that you get the credit.

I'm about 2/3 through Ole Mouritsen's Sushi: food for the eye, body & soul. So far I think it's an alright book - a really nice, broad overview that would be a fantastic first book on sushi - but all along it feels like I'm just skimming the surface on things. I don't get a feeling of real intimacy with the subject.

The author has done a lot of research, evidenced by the extensive bibliography, but it feels "removed" for exactly that reason - it's a second-hand account of the subject matter as opposed to a first-hand account from personal expertise & experience.

I am about to get to the section on individual ingredients, so perhaps that section may sway me, but thus far I have been slightly disappointed with the book. I expected more depth - not necessarily on the McGee level, but more than what's here. My expectations, however, reflect the fact that I've previously read a number of books on sushi and Japanese cuisine and I have a life sciences background from university, so much of the content covers ground that I'm already familiar with.

Len

Jon recommended that book based on my request for a good overview, im reading it and finding that the level is perfect, it goes far enough to not treat you like an idiot but does get into ridiculous levels of detail.

So i think we are saying th esame thing, its a great starter boo but not a definitive guide

Alan

actually, the bibliography is where its at ;)

I do that for a lot of books... read the book and then track down their references to learn more

I will definitely get the book recommended in this thread, thanks!

One book I liked quite a bit was The Connoisseurs Guide to Sushi: http://www.amazon.ca/dp/1558323074/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I didn't care too much for the writers flowery descriptions at times which seemed like just excuses to prove how smart and how good of a writer he is, but there was a lot of information on various fish and preparations. Its not about actually making sushi but I like the book. I borrowed it from the Library but want to buy the book as a reference unless anyone can recommend others which might do it better.

Ole Mouritsen's Sushi: food for the eye, body & soul I'm only about a quarter through: Ole Mouritsen's Sushi: food for the eye, body & soul and although I enjoy the style I can't say I've learned much. Most of what I've read so far is about history of sushi (I did learn a fair bit here) and basic biology (nothing a decent high school course doesn't cover and I found few connections to sushi so it seemed to be superfluous to the focus of the book). I hope that the farther along I get the more focused on sushi the book will get and hey for a buck ninety used on amazon its worth it just for the pretty pictures.

Back