Heavily Discounted Kamikoto Santoku

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherryberry

Reaction score
I have no idea if this knife is any good but I thought someone might be looking for something similar. My uncle tagged me in a post on Facebook because he knows I was looking to buy a knife. It's heavily discounted if you use the code 79OFF

https://kamikoto.com/collections/store/products/7-inch-santoku-knife

I would also like to know everyone's opinion on it, might grab it for the family if it's a steel. Not really what I was personally looking for.

Hahaha, that's what I have concluded between the time I posted this and now 😅

https://consumerist.com/2017/04/17/customer-accuses-dealdash...

"According to the lawsuit, the trademarks for multiple DealDash-sold brands — including Schultz electronics, Barrel Shack, Kamikoto knives, Verdict apparel, and New Haven candle and home decor — are all registered by the same company: A Hong Kong-based business called Galton Voysey Limited."

“DealDash’s purportedly expensive, high-end brand names do no legitimate retail business anywhere because they are nothing but the cheap, recent inventions of DealDash and its principal(s),”

It looks like this company often sell cheap products made to look like a luxury brand.

This is very interesting because a huge part of my work is marketing and user experience design. The way their website is crafted is just excellent. I'm sure they sell a ton of knives at full price only because of this. I really hope I never unknowingly help build a brand based on a heap of lies.

I too am in that field, and it's actually a fairly impressive bit of marketing

I have a few customers (mostly have no idea about knives in general) asking me about this brand. I often find it very difficult to explain to them the details and just have to explain “what you are getting is not what you think you are getting".

but they certainly caught eye balls.

I'd have a hard time spending $29.95 on that thing.

Those poor people who bought in.

412 5-star reviews... nice.

It's quite amusing to watch the shill reviews that popped up a few months ago on a handful of youtube cooking channels.

412 5-star reviews... nice.

It's quite amusing to watch the shill reviews that popped up a few months ago on a handful of youtube cooking channels.

I bet most of them are not even fake reviews. You only need a critical mass of fake reviews to start the "sheeplee" effect. Usually the number needed decreases based on how "luxury" the item is; or perceived.

I bet most of them are not even fake reviews. You only need a critical mass of fake reviews to start the "sheeplee" effect. Usually the number needed decreases based on how "luxury" the item is; or perceived.

On Amazon three were lots of positive reviews when the knives were still in pre-order.

https://www.fakespot.com/company/kamikoto

Plus, how could any savvy shopper who is definitely not an idiot pass up a 75% discount off MSRP?

A guy at work bought one. It doesn't seem to be anything special other than the design - it's more of an image of a knife than an actual knife. The part I don't get is that he's left handed and it has a hugely asymmetric wide bevel for right handers!

Oh, yeah, a friend of mine has that nakiri, but under a different brand. I'm pretty sure she didn't pay more than $20-30 for it. Flat back and very soft steel, the edge is full of dents after a week of use or so. In its defense, I've learned a thing or two about sharpening and thinning on it.

Back