Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Craziest thing u ever saw.......

There is a product called Celox that will make blood clot immediately. It really works, and anywhere knives are it should be part of the kit!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_R...0308012029.jpg
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Yeah I saw that stuff, looks awesome!

But I don't care that much about blood loss, as long as it isn't daily for months on end.

A chef that I worked for years ago had a guy take the palm of his hand off, from the finger tips to the heel, on the deli slicer... ouch.

That made my stomach hurt.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by K-Fed View Post
    A chef that I worked for years ago had a guy take the palm of his hand off, from the finger tips to the heel, on the deli slicer... ouch.
    Yikes!! How do you get all the way from the fingertips to the heel of the palm?!? Wouldn't he react when the fingers got cut?
    Reminds me of Something About Mary: "How'd he get the beans above the frank?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by K-Fed View Post
    Thats RAW man...

I have worked FOH and once tried to take a plate away from a group of four that had just finished their appetizers. They had some extra "share" plates while they were splitting the apps. One of the plates looked "clean" and the customer was holding it for me to take from his hand. However, when i went to take it, he wouldnt let go. A quick couple seconds and he let it go.

When I went into the back with the plates I inspected it more closely, to reveal a white powdery substance covering parts of it.

Touched it to my tongue felt a nice tingle, and then rubbed the rest on my gums..... Why would you be doing cocaine AFTER you ate apps, and before your entree comes?

I am not a drug user, but I did dabble in college...

BOH: I worked at a very toney private golf club with a cook that wasn't the brightest. He was packaging some leftover meats after prep when the metal film box began to fall off the prep table. He tried to catch it, the film box cutter severed his right wrist and blood began to spurt all the way up to the ceiling which must have been 12'. The end result was he lost the use of his right hand and, as far as I know, is spending the rest of his life on permanent disability. That's why the first thing they tell you in culinary school is never try to catch a falling object in the kitchen, no matter what it is.

FOH: My very first serving job was at a fantastic Mom and Pop Italian red sauce joint, they had a small menu with everything made from scratch including all pasta. This particular Saturday night, one of my tables consisted of a young family, Mom and Dad and a very quiet boy maybe 8-10 years old. The parents ordered and told me to bring a lasagna for their son. We served lasagna in one of those handled gratin dishes that is extremely hot. When I brought the meals out to the table I served the Mom and Dad first using my right hand, while I was doing so the kid grabbed the gratin dish out of my left hand and pulled it towards himself spilling the hot contents all over (luckily not on his face) and letting out a blood-curdling scream the likes of which I have not heard since. It turns out the son was mentally challenged and the parents had not thought to inform me.

BTW, in the past I was a franchisee/owner of Subway restaurants and some of the actions and behaviour that I witnessed from both customers and staff would fill at least a small memoir for certain.

I was working as a refrigeration mechanic's helper on the walk-in at a national fast food chain in Washington DC about 30 years ago. It was near closing time and one of the kitchen staff was dumping several dozen buns on a large tray and placed it in the middle of the floor in the back of the restaurant. When I asked why, he said they were for the rats. Shaking my head in disbelief, he said that if they didn't feed them buns, the rats would chew through the walls of the walk-in to eat meat instead. It was much cheaper to just let them fill up on buns.

That logic doesn't surprise me .

I had my first restaurant job at 15 and I was the cook, cashier and pm prep of a little sandwich shop. It was the job of the pm guy to slice all the meat for the next morning. I had never used a deli slicer, but managed to get buy perhaps a little dangerously.

After getting the roast beef sliced up one night I took off the guards of the deli slicer and turned on on the machine and held a wet towel to it to clean the blade. This had always worked well in the past, and it was substantially faster than doing it with the blade off. The moment I touched the towel to the rotating blade the most gorgeous girl, well endowed girl walked in with a VERY low cut shirt.

Being 15, I stared, oogled, slipped and hit my wrist to the spinning deli blade. Blood spurted with every heart beat, which was beating very fast due to the low cut shirt. I tried not to scream and cuss like a girl to no avail.

The girl helped me get to the hospital and was kind enough to lock the doors and put up a closed sign.

I forgot to tell my employer, who opened the doors the next morning to blood spurted everywhere, he must have thought a gruesome murder had transpired. Poor guy.

As for the girl, I must have scarred her off, because she never came back in.

Ahh, to be 15 again. I seldom cut myself anymore, and 15 years later, I still have a fear of deli slicers. But that little deli shop still makes some killer roast beef sandwiches.

As a note to employers, don't let teenagers touch sharp things. I sure don't and I am sure it has saved me many trips to the er.