Craziest thing u ever saw.......

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsy9977

Founding Member
Reaction score
while you were working in a kitchen, GO! ryan

i once say a guy almost gut himself when breaking down a steamship side of beef. The chef told him to wear the metal apron... but no. Then his knife snagged a bone and he pulled towards himself. Bam!!! Knife vs. stomach.

Knife won. :(

Geeze- sounds like something I might pull!

1st place-arm caught in a 140qt hobart mixer and it broke his arm. he was stuck there until someone could get to the controls to turn it off.

runner up- me getting my hand pureed by a large immersion blender. i got 22 stitches and could see my bone in two places. returned to work that night to call the wheel

1st place-arm caught in a 140qt hobart mixer and it broke his arm. he was stuck there until someone could get to the controls to turn it off.

runner up- me getting my hand pureed by a large immersion blender. i got 22 stitches and could see my bone in two places. returned to work that night to call the wheel

are you sure we haven't worked together??

Saw a line cook stab another cook over a girl that worked there .
no one said **** to management guys made up girl got fired short time after wards.

I slid the heel of my hand accross all 3 feet of a 385 degree grill as I tripped- I had a VERY impressive blister.

friend of mine who was in the burn ward the guy next to him was a cook at a steak house he was cleaning the hood standing on the range going down the line stepped in to the deep fryer . nice kid thou

when i worked at the Sea Grill over at rockerfeller center i saw the am sous drop his tongs. When he went to pick them up he planted his forehead on the plancha. I never heard a man scream like that before.

when i worked at the Sea Grill over at rockerfeller center i saw the am sous drop his tongs. When he went to pick them up he planted his forehead on the plancha. I never heard a man scream like that before.

ouch !!!!

Saw a line cook stab another cook over a girl that worked there .
no one said **** to management guys made up girl got fired short time after wards.

http://articles.courant.com/2010-11...k-1125-20101124_1_tawfik-atik-ed-narus-prison

The stabbing occurred during a dispute between the two men. The cause of the dispute is not known. The two men argued in Arabic, and then Atik stabbed Alkatabi in the left abdomen with a 12-inch knife. Although the knife only penetrated Alkatabi's body an inch or two, he suffered severe injuries and nearly died, prosecutor Ed Narus said.

Tawfik had applied for a job at the place I was at a month or so before this happened. One of my guys knew of him and told me he was a loon so I told him to take a hike. Stabbing avoided!

Stabbing burning cutting punching ****ing spitting screaming drugging.

How about my top 5 to start?

Got to do some thing

1) had to track down the person who was $hiting in a box in the basement.
2) long ago I worked at a place that use to keep it bulk sauce in 30 gal garbage cans in the walk in. One day a " short guy" decided to use it as a stool to get to the shelf above it. The tomato sauce was still hot so the top of the cans lid was soft. He fell right in upto his arm pits. We took him to the hospital the worst burns he had were on his genitalia, ouch.
3) Hot water booster for a hi-temp dishwasher fell onto the wet floor. I don't remember the volts but the thin had 3 50 amp beakers on it. Any way looked like the emperor from star wars lighting bolt attack.
4) some gang banger kids tried to mug me when I was walking home from work about 1o-12 years ago. I got to see 1st hand what a yanagi would do to a mans face. His cheek fell right off.
5) customer walked into the kitchen with his pants around saying " theres no paper in the mens room. I told him not to take one step further into my kitchen. I sent for a floor manager who came only to find out the old man mr. Hanekyed the bathroom walls.

Seen a lot of sad stories too .
mostly with drugs alcohol .

That's pro right there!

I just had a toenail removed, and am taking the next three days off. ;D

ya, i wish i still had the picture of my hand. it was on an old cell phone that has been lost or broken for years. still got some sweet scars though.

every once in a while i see someone come in for a job application or a stage and they remember me from working there. it was one of the most horrific things that ever happened to me. now when i hear one going, i cannot help but cringe and tell the person using it to be very very careful :D

I was doing prep on valentines day one year and ran my thumb into the deli slicer, all the way to the bone, the full length of my thumb.

wrapped it up with paper towels and a glove, finished my prep, got stitches, came back and ran the grill all night, passed the F*** out.
I literally passed out in the office chair and the owner took me home. I was in bad shape.

How about my top 5 to start?

Got to do some thing

1) had to track down the person who was $hiting in a box in the basement.
2) long ago I worked at a place that use to keep it bulk sauce in 30 gal garbage cans in the walk in. One day a " short guy" decided to use it as a stool to get to the shelf above it. The tomato sauce was still hot so the top of the cans lid was soft. He fell right in upto his arm pits. We took him to the hospital the worst burns he had were on his genitalia, ouch.
3) Hot water booster for a hi-temp dishwasher fell onto the wet floor. I don't remember the volts but the thin had 3 50 amp beakers on it. Any way looked like the emperor from star wars lighting bolt attack.
4) some gang banger kids tried to mug me when I was walking home from work about 1o-12 years ago. I got to see 1st hand what a yanagi would do to a mans face. His cheek fell right off.
5) customer walked into the kitchen with his pants around saying " theres no paper in the mens room. I told him not to take one step further into my kitchen. I sent for a floor manager who came only to find out the old man mr. Hanekyed the bathroom walls.

What's ' mr. Hanekyed the bathroom walls' mean? You certainly have led an interesting career.

I have to say, I've never seen any of these horrific happens, though I have heard stories. I feel blessed because I don't like the sight of blood any more.

I think the most unusual things that have happened was I lost a pair of reading glasses in a bucket of stock that took two days to find. And A guy brought his wolf dog mix into the kitchen. Freaking animal was huge, like the size of a great dane.

I worked as janitor for a few years and one of the scariest things that ever happened to me(I worked alone after close) I was filtering the oil in the fryers and the hose slipped out of my hand. I got soaked down the front of my body with about a gallon of 250 degree oil. I wasn't wearing the rubber apron(there is a good reason thats required) or the face shield, but I was wearing one of the cloth aprons, and most of the oil either got absorbed or deflected by that. Fortunately I did not get any serious burns. It really scared the **** out of me though. I didn't report it, mainly because I didn't want to explain, but I did set down for a smoke(we weren't supposed to do that either). One of the most serious cuts I saw was when our regional manager asked to borrow my pocket knife to cut some zip ties, he slipped and cut his pinky to the bone at the tune of 7 stiches. After the initial shock we both burst out laughing, because I had warned him when I handed the knife over that it was very sharp.

Man some sick and funny stuff goes on in kitchens. I know I am forgetting some going on's but a few off the top of my head.

Me personally I was working an open line one night with two of my guys. We had Grill, Saute, Pantry, and Wood Fired Brick pizzas. Normally a 4 man line and least. 5 or 6 when really busy. Well, we got REALLY busy on a day we were always slow on. I was working Pantry and Pizzas since they were so close and I was the fastest. Full rail on both... I banged out almost all the salads after stretching the dough for the pizzas on the board, was putting the last salad in the window trying to get back to the finish the pizzas and as I raised my head up slammed it into the corner of the ticket rail the was on the shelf where they kept the mixing bowls. I tightened the strap on my hat and pushed out the pizza tickets. Was getting the second to last one out when saute looked at me and said, " Uh, you better go to the bathroom" ... As I could feel the blood start to roll down my face. Good thing they had taken the bar stools away from the pizza counter shortly before that or I might of freaked some kids and parents out.

Other than that I hacked into my hand with a thick german chef knife when I missed punching a whole into the back corner of an extra virgin olive oil can. 12 stitches. The worst (and most stupid) cut I ever had.

The all time story ever I can think of (I didn't personally witness it) was from a pizza chef I worked with. It was my first Sous job at 18. He was not one to BS a whole lot so I believed he was being honest and swore it was the truth. He said he had a job running some pizza huts (this was long time ago mind you, they did things different) and one of the stores in the area was always etremely busy. He was sent over there to help out because they were having trouble keeping up. Told us one night they were completely wiped out and had very little dough left. They had a head kitchen manager who made the dough for the entire store since they opened (yes Pizza stores used to make their own dough). Steve (pizza chef telling the story) said he told the manager no worried he would come help out early next morning making dough. Guy insisted he didn't need help. Steve told him no worries, he was sent there just for this reason. He would come early and help out. Again the guy was persistent he did not need any help and had been fine keeping up and doing it by his self.
Steve said he told him ok but decided he was going in anyways as at the moment that store was his responsibilty. So he got there at 5am and kitchen mananger was already there. So he comes in back door and hears something. He turns the corner and sees dude with his pants down at his ankles and his d!ck in the dough which is on the table and as he's smacking it and going to town. He called the police and guy was arrested ... if he was telling the truth, which I believe him, that beats anything I think I have personally seen. And perhaps the real reason pizza hut pre-fabs all their dough in now :O

-Bryan

PS ... In Colin's Hankey story honor ... In a "high-end" place I worked at one of the managers was asked to do something about a stall in the womens bathroom ... upon walking in the he saw $h!t all over the toilet, then noticed it on the walls, then if that wasn't enough, on the ceiling. He had to get a LADDER to clean it, it was not a short ceiling. It's still a mystery. More disgusting stuff happened at that place then some of the more casual places I worked at.

every once and awhile i say about ten years
you read about a guy who chopped up girlfriend and made soup
last one i know was in New York

Spaceconvoy that's hilarious. Perhaps again we now know where that name REALLY came from.

To clarify about the distgusting stuff going on I mentioned above, I was reffering to the front of house. The kitchen was the cleanest most sanitary kitchen I ever worked in. The stuff going on out front, most of the time later on at night with customers (many who had a good bit of money) was another story. Rich folk will do just about anything you can think of because usually people let them get away with it.

Dave you are a smart man now. I have ALWAYS had a list of places I can count on one hand that I'll eat out at ever since I started working in pro kitchens. I have even been shocked by a couple nicer places.
-Bryan

It is probably more normal for us knife folk here, but I remember the first cut I got from a J-knife. I was working sushi, and didn't even notice. I started seeing blood everywhere, and thought it was tuna blood at first. Quickly realized it wasn't, and threw everything away, but it just wouldn't heal! I didn't feel myself get it, it bled until about 10 hours later, and didn't heal until a full week later.

I have seen a sous chef at a place passed out drunk in the apron hamper, that was hilarious.

I picked up a shift at a restaurant with lots of heroin and meth going on in the kitchen(it's not around anymore lol) and there was a guy who had a habit of grabbing people's heads from behind, and running the spine of a chef's knife across their neck and saying "Stealth!". A few months later, he did it to someone, and ran the knife along the entire length of his forearm, damn near died.

As far as health code violations, the worst offender was a Taiwanese chef that(amongst other things) would BATHE, yes BATHE, in the prep sink with the leftover water from washing rice.

Latest posts

Back