Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Re-handling a forgecraft knife

Administrator
    Delbert Ealy offers some good examples of this. Each scale is semi-rounded and attached to the tang. The tang is then part of the handle like a regular western. I'll try and post a pic later.

Older and wider..

Ok. Now I get it. Any recommendations on what handle blank I should use for the first one?

Can I make handle blanks out of the extra wood flooring I have?

Quote Originally Posted by PappaG View Post
    Ok. Now I get it. Any recommendations on what handle blank I should use for the first one?
    Can I make handle blanks out of the extra wood flooring I have?
    sure as long as the flooring is solid wood. don't worry too much about handle names. I would start at 1 1/4" high and 3/4 to 1 inch thick 5" long, then shape the handle to where it fits and feels the best. take your time as it is easy to remove wood but impossible to add it back.

I have converted a couple artifex westerns from CKTG to Wa handles. I found a 4 inch angle grinder generates too much heat and blues the metal around the cut. A dremel with a cut off blade will give a clean cut.

I'm bad with photobucket, but will get a picture up soon.
    I have successfully removed the handle of both a slicer and boning forgecraft. I had fun and learned a lot using my 1x30 Harbor freight grinder to thin and clean the blade up, without letting the blade overheat.

For a wa handle, I now see the obvious challenge of grinding the tang down. I'm not sure my 1x30 is up to the task. I would need a really good belt, no? Is a dremel strong enough to do this?

to clean up and grind down the tang, i would use an angle grinder

The Hickory handles fix up. Sand to bare wood polish up the pins. Even out any irregularities spine & scales. Gaps you can epoxy & clamp. I found cleaned up & couple coats of finish the Hickory wood has a nice look.

[IMG][/IMG]

Trying to post my latest with photobucket

So give me some honest opinions. It was a lot of work to grind the tang down with an angle grinder. thanks for the tips.

I'm torn. I'm not sure the larger 8' slicer goes with a wa handle.
    I have not glued it down yet.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the boning knife. Handle is a little big, but somehow I think it works better.

Thoughts?

Next up i'm going to either try and make my own hidden tang handle or do scales for the first time.