Is kitchen knife a knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

connie

Banned
Reaction score
Is kitchen knife a knife? If yes, then why it never goes to the blade show? If not, why it calls knife? :hungry:

Epicurus is widely misunderstood, and the mitochondrion is the powerhouse of the cell.

Does not the word knife indicate that a knife is in fact a knife? I suppose it could simply be what we call a knife shaped object but we do that for different reasons. If a kitchen knife is not a knife then what might it be? As for blade show, some kitchen knife makers go.

A better question: Why must something appear at an "event", such as blade, in order to be considered a knife?

Blade shows are for old retirees who care more about handle design than metalurgy and forging.

Also in case you were wondering a cellphone is not a phone and a sun is not a star but a moon is a rock and my sexy secratary is just an employee that should not worry my fiancee.

Sorry, I saw "sexy secretary" and what I thought was "finances" and suddenly the world made sense.

Blade shows are for old retirees who care more about handle design than metalurgy and forging.

Also in case you were wondering a cellphone is not a phone and a sun is not a star but a moon is a rock and my sexy secratary is just an employee that should not worry my fiancee.

Oh, thank you for answer. I understand now, the knives that can be go to the "blade show" are the knives for collection, they are a treasure! But kitchen knives are only for cutting food, if the kitchen knives that are old, then we can change a new one without any hesitate.

Does not the word knife indicate that a knife is in fact a knife? I suppose it could simply be what we call a knife shaped object but we do that for different reasons. If a kitchen knife is not a knife then what might it be? As for blade show, some kitchen knife makers go.

A better question: Why must something appear at an "event", such as blade, in order to be considered a knife?

Yes, the kitchen knives are not in the blade show level, so let it be in the household articles.

I know kitchen knives are not represented by tons of makers at knife shows but I remember Bill Burke and Mareko Maumasai went to the big Blade show in ATL this year, I'm sure there were others as there were hundreds of makers there.

Kitchen knives are finally being represented much more at knife shows in the USA. From what I have seen they are also getting better. In my opinion, not many years ago many makers would make a knife that was not a hunter, bowie, fighter ect and would just call it a "kitchen knife". Most of them were not high performance tools designed for a professional and were functionally inferior to something you could pick up at a department store on the cheap. So they didn't really fly in the knife show venue.

Yes, the kitchen knives are not in the blade show level, so let it be in the household articles.

I see that you are from Yangjiang, China. It's where Shibazi is located, (I looked it up.) Looking at your previous posts, it seems that is where you work. I hate to break it to you, (or perhaps you already are aware of it) but most of what Shibazi makes is junk. The very best Shibazi knives are what I would consider barely usable. Why would you expect to see that at a show?

Shows reflect what is valued by the culture of where they are located. If the local culture doesn't place any value in high quality kitchen knives, then there aren't going to be any kitchen knives at local shows.

Sorry, I saw "sexy secretary" and what I thought was "finances" and suddenly the world made sense.
LOL I didn't even think about that. I will have to analyze the combo.

Oh, thank you for answer. I understand now, the knives that can be go to the "blade show" are the knives for collection, they are a treasure! But kitchen knives are only for cutting food, if the kitchen knives that are old, then we can change a new one without any hesitate.
Yes and no. A majority of blade related shows in the USA are filled with hunters or military related clients and craftsman and they tend to focus on hunting and utility knives. You are not going to carry a 270 gyuto or a Chinese Clever out into the field since it is extra unnecessary weight.

That doesn't mean you won't find a few stands with some very nice looking chef knives that cut equal to a Henckel.

Swords aren't knives and they appear at knife shows
Are you referring to the cheap replicas they try to pass off as authentic or the poorly profiled homemade projects that would get you killed in an underground Kumite?

Are you referring to the cheap replicas they try to pass off as authentic or the poorly profiled homemade projects that would get you killed in an underground Kumite?
I'm referring to both including cardboard LARPing swords

😂 Guess Im heading to the next blade show for my ninja costume accessories.

I know kitchen knives are not represented by tons of makers at knife shows but I remember Bill Burke and Mareko Maumasai went to the big Blade show in ATL this year, I'm sure there were others as there were hundreds of makers there.

May I know who is Bill Burke and Mareko Maumasai? :running:

Kitchen knives are finally being represented much more at knife shows in the USA. From what I have seen they are also getting better. In my opinion, not many years ago many makers would make a knife that was not a hunter, bowie, fighter ect and would just call it a "kitchen knife". Most of them were not high performance tools designed for a professional and were functionally inferior to something you could pick up at a department store on the cheap. So they didn't really fly in the knife show venue.

Just be curious for you, may I ask: are you a kitchen knives maker? If yes, then we are in the same business, then we can chat a lot..

Yes and no. A majority of blade related shows in the USA are filled with hunters or military related clients and craftsman and they tend to focus on hunting and utility knives. You are not going to carry a 270 gyuto or a Chinese Clever out into the field since it is extra unnecessary weight.

That doesn't mean you won't find a few stands with some very nice looking chef knives that cut equal to a Henckel.

Thank you for your detailed explanation, I learn it again now. I guess you are also in the hunter knife or military knife business, so you know it so well !

There are plenty of kitchen knife makers at the Blade show. The problem is people with one special focus always expect any show to be 100% devoted to that. Makers take what sells. People willing to spend serious money on kitchen knives are still a minority.

There are plenty of kitchen knife makers at the Blade show. The problem is people with one special focus always expect any show to be 100% devoted to that. Makers take what sells. People willing to spend serious money on kitchen knives are still a minority.

People who are willing to spend serious money on knives at all are still a minority, are they not? I mean, I actually have to actively search for people who own decent knives if I wish to chat, they don't just appear at the local cafe. Even in a good hillbilly town like this, where most people carry a knife, it is no better than a buck.

The Blade show tends to attract that minority. The average person doesn't even know knife shows exist. That said, makers are still going to take what sells. Most of the people at the Blade are not buying knives they will actually use. Its about collecting and fulfilling fantasies.

The Blade show tends to attract that minority. The average person doesn't even know knife show exist. That said, makers are still going to take what sells. Most of the people at the Blade are not buying knives they will actually use. Its about collecting and fulfilling fantasies.

Gotcha, I've never been to a blade show. I've been to a gun show and once was enough.

Back