Chef's knife recommendations for first timer

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bechler

Reaction score
I am looking to get a gift for a friend of mine who does not have much experience with really good knives. I would like to spend around $50 if possible. I was looking at the Tojiro but was wondering if there was anything out there that may be a little less money. Thanks!

I'm not shure it's even possible to buy a really good knife for under $50. The cheapest good knife i would reccomend is the Fujiwara FKM that runs at arround $70.

If you can help your friend watch over the knife and educate your friend about carbon knives, then I would go with the tojiro itk shirogami. If not, then tojiro/fujiwara; if those are too expensive, just get a cck/shibazi cleaver

maybe a mac depending on the size etc u want. U can find a few on ebay now. 50 is tough for a quality knife.

Any chance they'll be willing to learn to use a chinese cleaver?

50 is just not a permanent purchase...after all, that is 8 hours at minimum wage.

the best sub-100 improvement for knives is to keep your BS brand beaters and buy an idahone rod. They'll still need a new edge on them from time to time, but you'll get more out of a mercer knife and a rod than you'll get out of one tojiro and no maintenance equipment.

I second the 10-inch Forschner. We have had one in our kitchen block for around 25 years that is my wife's favorite knife. Spend the time learning to sharpen and it will work fine for the average home cook.

Latest posts

Back