Cut Brooklyn Wa handled gyutos—anyone tried them?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DitmasPork

Reaction score
Hi. Curious if anyone tried the Wa gyutos from Cut Brooklyn? Just noticed them on the site, Hitachi Blue 2—site says its a collaboration. The profile looks a little like my Kato—though perhaps a wee bit shorter and a tad flatter.

Not in the market at the moment—finances tight this year—but love seeing new knives out there and love hearing opinions.

Hahaha I remember when I was young and immature. The days when I thought a Cut Brooklyn was similar to fine china and those guest towels I am never allowed to touch. 😂

Didn't know he started listing his steel ingredients. For a while he kept that a secret.

I saw this "Osaka collaboration" thing on his website but wondered why there's no simple explanation of what that is. I guess he's too busy to type a quick "these are forged to my specifications by so-and-so hamono in Osaka and I finish grind and handle them" but that would take too much time away from actually making knives... :dontknow:

I saw this "Osaka collaboration" thing on his website but wondered why there's no simple explanation of what that is. I guess he's too busy to type a quick "these are forged to my specifications by so-and-so hamono in Osaka and I finish grind and handle them" but that would take too much time away from actually making knives... :dontknow:
It must be one of those Brooklyn methods of salesmanship that the rest of the country does not understand.

you have to have a beard and wear denim apron to use one

lets keep the beards out of this

I LOL :rofl2:

I sorta understand that he doesn't need to explain because his stuff tends to sell out regardless. I think he maintains his sales now simply because of being to the game early, getting promo, and building his brand. Somebody like Bob Kramer is so inquisitive and always studying and learning, and if Joel B. is the same, he may know more about kitchen knives than the majority of forum members. I don't know if this is the case, just laying out the possibilities...

But as Dave Martell noted in another thread, there are so many new knifemakers that he shouldn't be complacent.

Bob Kramer is a knife smith. An over-rated one at that, but a talented and skilled smith nonetheless. The two don't belong in the same sentence together. Cut Brooklyn does not do forging or heat treatment, so until there is the skill and knowledge to do that I consider the knife maker amateur at best. Not saying that can't happen with them, but even now it doesn't seem they have really stepped up their game regarding knife craftsmanship.

Bob Kramer is a knife smith. An over-rated one at that, but a talented and skilled smith nonetheless. The two don't belong in the same sentence together. Cut Brooklyn does not do forging or heat treatment, so until there is the skill and knowledge to do that I consider the knife maker amateur at best. Not saying that can't happen with them, but even now it doesn't seem they have really stepped up their game regarding knife craftsmanship.

that’s pretty narrow minded IMO considering you can basically get as good (or better in many cases) a knife from stock removal as from forging. Some stock removal guys do some awesome grinding and fit and finish is amazing, couple that with good controlled heat treating and you have a winner. For the record I am not into Kramer or CB.

Alight....explain to me how bob kramer is over-rated

Just do a search for how much his knives sell at auction.

If you just type "best knifemaker" his name comes up multiple times in the top search results. Right up there with Jay Fisher lol

@orangehero I'd not doubt Jay Fisher as a top Knifemaker - i'd readily doubt his understanding of cooks' needs :)

Wake me up when CB makes a collaboration with Chelsea Miller for the ultimate in over-priced hipster knives

Just do a search for how much his knives sell at auction.

If you just type "best knifemaker" his name comes up multiple times in the top search results. Right up there with Jay Fisher lol

I guarantee only a handful of collectors have driven the price that high. His work and understanding of metallurgy is among the top in the world, hence MIT inviting him to talk to students about the subject. And given his fostering of a talent like Mareko Maumasi, I'd say he is rated pretty accurately as the greatest living kitchen knife smith on the planet.

But no working kitchen knife is worth what Kramer's sell for, period.
Went to Jay Fishers website. He seems to have been around for a long time, not sure how our paths haven't crossed. But not much there in any category I would want to carry or use.

And given his fostering of a talent like Mareko Maumasi, I'd say he is rated pretty accurately as the greatest living kitchen knife smith on the planet.

What does him being over-rated have anything to do with Mareko? BTW Mareko works here in CT now with a group of extremely talented smiths at Dragon's Breath Forge. They do a lot of swords and some cool stuff with making their own Wootz steel. Anyway whether Kramer is overrated is not the point, the point is that he is a completely different level of knife craftsmanship compared to Cut Brooklyn. They are mediocre-at-best mid-techs being sold at inflated prices.

Undoubtedly Jay Fisher is also very talented and his website is a great resource for knowledge about knives and knifemaking. I personally wouldn't put him into the top lists though. For example someone like Buster and Julie Warenski are a level above.

What does him being over-rated have anything to do with Mareko? BTW Mareko works here in CT now with a group of extremely talented smiths at Dragon's Breath Forge. They do a lot of swords and some cool stuff with making their own Wootz steel. Anyway whether Kramer is overrated is not the point, the point is that he is a completely different level of knife craftsmanship compared to Cut Brooklyn. They are mediocre-at-best mid-techs being sold at inflated prices.

Undoubtedly Jay Fisher is also very talented and his website is a great resource for knowledge about knives and knifemaking. I personally wouldn't put him into the top lists though. For example someone like Buster and Julie Warenski are a level above.

Ya I know, Mareko slept on my couch when he moved, and Im sure he will tell you that he is not "over-rated". Is Stan Wilson over-rated just because his work sells for 10-20k for a small pocket knife? No, thats not up to them, thats the market. Is amazon an over rated website because its stock price is very high? No

Is Stan Wilson over-rated just because his work sells for 10-20k for a small pocket knife? No, thats not up to them, thats the market. Is amazon an over rated website because its stock price is very high? No

Well, yes. Among other things, that's what over-rated means in this context. As to the second point a company can certainly be over-valued in much the same way.

I'm not shitting on Bob Kramer here I'm trying to **** on Cut Brooklyn ;) I mean good for him, may his endeavor continue to bring him financial success and perhaps he does have the desire to learn more about the craft and apply it to his products in a way that will only bring further success and respect.

I sorta understand that he doesn't need to explain because his stuff tends to sell out regardless. I think he maintains his sales now simply because of being to the game early, getting promo, and building his brand. Somebody like Bob Kramer is so inquisitive and always studying and learning, and if Joel B. is the same, he may know more about kitchen knives than the majority of forum members. I don't know if this is the case, just laying out the possibilities...

That one is a bladesmithing knifemaker and the other a knifemaker who doesn't forge doesn't have anything to do with what I'm talking about. You don't have to be a bladesmith to make a great knife. The comparison point I was making is that if Joel Bukiewicz is as deeply curious and inquisitive as Bob Kramer is in learning about knives and the craft of making knives, then he is likely a lot more knowledgeable than not only his customers, but more than many forum members here.

I don't know JB's process, but if he doesn't do his own heat treatment, how is that different from a Japanese bladesmith that doesn't do his own sharpening/bevel grind of which there are numerous examples.

Hi. Curious if anyone tried the Wa gyutos from Cut Brooklyn? Just noticed them on the site, Hitachi Blue 2—site says its a collaboration. The profile looks a little like my Kato—though perhaps a wee bit shorter and a tad flatter.

Not in the market at the moment—finances tight this year—but love seeing new knives out there and love hearing opinions.
No one can help you OP, CB knives almost belong in the ugliest knife ever thread http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/545-ugliest-knife-ever
Even if this collaboration he did is cool I doubt anyone around here would bother with it.

Well, yes. Among other things, that's what over-rated means in this context. As to the second point a company can certainly be over-valued in much the same way.

I'm not shitting on Bob Kramer here I'm trying to **** on Cut Brooklyn ;) I mean good for him, may his endeavor continue to bring him financial success and perhaps he does have the desire to learn more about the craft and apply it to his products in a way that will only bring further success and respect.

You just fixed our issue. Over valued vs over-rated is chalk and cheese.

Right, so therefore Bob Kramer is over-rated as he's more chalk than cheese. :)

Back