Storing Carbon Steel & Maintenance

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aogami

Reaction score
My Eden Kanso knives came very well packaged with a beautiful blue box, blade wrapped in VCI anti-corrosion paper and a cardboard sleeve.

I'm working with a woodworker on getting a wooden saya custom made for them. I read about VCI, whose existence I didn't know of until the knives arrived, and it seems like an excellent layer of protection against rust. Though I haven't seen many people use it regularly. I was thinking of keeping it on the blades, even if I get the saya, or just order the inside of the saya to be covered in this paper.

What are your experiences with carbon steel and VCI, and how do you store yours?

I've been keeping them dry and stored away, and using the damp towel & dry towel method when cooking, which makes them stay dry and also makes my workflow tidier and cleaner. Haven't oiled because I use it on a daily basis and only have cooking oils at my disposal.

Cheers

In moderate climates, this should not be a problem if you dry them properly after cooking. You can apply a thin layer of oil if you won't be using the knives for more than a few days. I never did that, just cleaned and dried them properly, and have never experienced rust issues on my carbon knives or iron cookware. Once, someone else cut a pineapple with one of my carbon knives and left it with the juice on... that was fun.

My Eden Kanso knives came very well packaged with a beautiful blue box, blade wrapped in VCI anti-corrosion paper and a cardboard sleeve.

I'm working with a woodworker on getting a wooden saya custom made for them. I read about VCI, whose existence I didn't know of until the knives arrived, and it seems like an excellent layer of protection against rust. Though I haven't seen many people use it regularly. I was thinking of keeping it on the blades, even if I get the saya, or just order the inside of the saya to be covered in this paper.

What are your experiences with carbon steel and VCI, and how do you store yours?

I've been keeping them dry and stored away, and using the damp towel & dry towel method when cooking, which makes them stay dry and also makes my workflow tidier and cleaner. Haven't oiled because I use it on a daily basis and only have cooking oils at my disposal.

Cheers

I use the VCI and cardboard sleeves and have never had any rust issues.

Cheers

Sayas are meant for transport, not storage. If there is any moisture present at all, a saya will trap it and your knife will rust.

VCI paper works in a sealed or semi-sealed environment, like a cardboard box, and is intended to be used during shipment or long term storage.

The best way to take care of your knives is to keep them dry. Run hot tap water over them before the final drying so residual heat will get rid of the last vestiges of moisture before you put them in a block or on a magnetic strip.

Hm.. how would you store them for transport to the restaurant etc? I was thinking of the sayas inside a knife roll. Maybe with the VCI paper covering the knife, inside the saya would be better? That'd be considered a semi-sealed environment right?

Hot water sounds like a good idea to make drying easier.

My petty just developed 2 micro spots of rust overnight after cutting a mango, took care of it with the rough side of a dish sponge and baking soda.. Scary just how easy and quick it happens. These particular knives, with the kurouichi finish are pretty hard to get bone dry. Some moisture always seems to linger in the surface. Glad to see it's easily fixed though.

Yes, as I said, use a saya for transport. Knives in sayas and then in a knife roll is a perfect way to take them to work and what a saya is designed for. I'd leave out the VCI paper. Just make sure that the knives are clean and totally dry.

I have a couple of knives that will rust if you look at them the wrong way. I have to be very careful that they are dry. I also use a very light coating of tsubaki oil (camellia oil) and that seems to help. Mineral oil is a little heavier, but should also work.

If using knives everyday it is most important to wash with hot water & dry completely before putting in your saya's. Oil just go to the drugstore & get food grade mineral oil. If you want it to smell like the expensive Japanese choji oil get a small bottle of pure clove oil, add drops to the mineral oil. Japanese used clove oil it is antibacterial. Good for carbon Katana in wooden sword sayas.

If using everyday & dry completely at end of shift you do not even need to oil. If not using carbons you can oil or wrap in paper.

Back