What knife would you throw in an Airbnb?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazarus

Reaction score
Stayed at an Airbnb last week, had some of the worst knives I've ever seen, led me to think, what would I put in my Airbnb if I had one? I'm floating between MAC, Vnox, Tojiro DP. Anyone else have a favorite they would furnish loaner knives with?

They key thing is are they sharp? And will they stay sharp for a weekend?
Victorinox are fine to use for a travel knife, IMHO.

You don't put anything nice in an Airbnb. I know people who have them. Everything worth anything develops legs.

I know someone who has a condo in Hawaii. Part of the management company's job is to switch out the linens, coffee pot and grinder, and flatware to the "better" stuff when the owners actually go to stay there.

They don't really cook, so knives and cookware really never factor into the equation...

Yeah, nothing nice. We don't even keep nice dinning ware or cutlery in the family country house. I take my own for holidays...

Stayed at an Airbnb last week, had some of the worst knives I've ever seen, led me to think, what would I put in my Airbnb if I had one? I'm floating between MAC, Vnox, Tojiro DP. Anyone else have a favorite they would furnish loaner knives with?

Since they'll likely get banged up, I'd go cheap, but good: Victorinox or Sanelli.

If they signed up for the Airbnb Luxury Rate, at three times the cost: they would have the pleasure of Gesshin Uraku, or the 210 Gesshin stainless in AUS-8.

I put in old forgies and wusthof which I sharpen myself
But have had complains knives were too sharp and dangerous

Nobody is ever happy these days

They only get tetanus if they manage to cut themselves with them.

This person gets it!

Have you met the general population? Cutting themselves with a spoon is a reasonable assumption. That or jabbing themselves with a fork or maybe biting themselves, having an open wound and then inserting the rusty spoon in their mouth. Yada, yada.

I was being a smartass to begin with...

Cheap "never wear" serrated knives from a big box retailer. On the plus side, probably what the renters are used to at home.

I'm one of those people who when using somebody else's stuff handles it with more care than my own out of respect for others. Sadly it seems the majority of other people treat borrowed or rented things with less care and respect. And the people that are the least respectful are the loudest to complain when the situation is reversed.

K183zra I'm just messing around. But I'd never leave anything with a higher value than 20bucks laying around my kitchen if I'm renting it out via AirBNB. Cheap Wal Mart serrateds are good enough IMO. To the person who was thinking of leaving Mac and wusty knives...those will magically disappear.

Richardson Sheffield Forme or some other cheap full metal handle knife. Sharpen it shaving sharp and stoch the place with bandaids

K183zra I'm just messing around. But I'd never leave anything with a higher value than 20bucks laying around my kitchen if I'm renting it out via AirBNB. Cheap Wal Mart serrateds are good enough IMO. To the person who was thinking of leaving Mac and wusty knives...those will magically disappear.

I know what you mean. Like I said, I wouldn't leave my nice knives out for my family let alone renters...

If you want to cut with a sharp knife in a rented place, then either bring a knife with you, or at least some tool to sharpen what is available. Or just simply order a pizza - it usually comes pre-cut :D

My globals... Only knives I wouldn't mind disappearing...

If you want to cut with a sharp knife in a rented place, then either bring a knife with you, or at least some tool to sharpen what is available. Or just simply order a pizza - it usually comes pre-cut :D

Right. When I am vacationing it is the duty of someone else to cook! I cook 2-3 times a day 6-7 days a week as it is. Yum, I miss visiting little tapa bars in Spain and pubs in Ireland. I think pizza would be at the bottom of my list though. In such a case I prefer Vitello Tonnato and Focaccia. Man, the first time I had that it rocked my palate.

Another niche where not much beats a set of Kiwis, or maybe Sekiryus - buy in bulk, maybe sharpen in bulk, and replace if damaged. If you are envious of complaints about knives being too sharp, give them a strop treatment. If that doesn't help, use the strop on the knives, maybe with chrome oxide added.

Back