Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: JMJones Knives Pass Around – 240mm Wa Gyuto- Sign up

There were some pretty wonky edge bevels when it got to me. It also had a bump about a third of the way from the heel which I smoothed out. I, too would like a bit flatter profile, but I did enjoy using the knife. I really like the S grind which performed admirably. The only other request I would have in a custom would be a bit more distal taper for a thinner tip. It was still a good performer as is. I used it pretty hard (for a home cook) and sent it out without stroping or sharpening. Should you get a chance to put it to the stones, it responds very nicely. I also noticed it is not very reactive. I'm interested to see how it responds in a pro kitchen.

Knife arrived yesterday. Gorgeous handle and grind. Haven’t used it yet but I’m in agreement with dwalker-if I ordered a custom from Mr. Jones I would indeed request a flatter profile and more taper towards the tip. Yeah the edge bevel is higher towards the tip on one side and the edge bevel is higher in general on the other side of the knife. None of that will stop me from enjoying this knife though and that stuff can be easily corrected after the pass around.
    Thanks again JMJONES for making this pass around happen.
    Also, just wanted to mention the blade seems to be installed at an angle. See the choil shot on the prior page which shows what I mean.

So far I’ve pretty mixed feelings about the knife. Going to use it just a little bit more then send it off to daveb (along w that stone I owe you) in the next few days.

Just sent it off to Dave...sorry for delay.

Just a few more days. I'll be in Nova Scotia for school most likely when it comes. So it may not see any heavy prep. But it'll get to meet Nova Scotia lobster.. the best lobster in the whole wide world. That and pei potatoes.
    La bonne cuisine est la base du véritable bonheur. -August Escoffier
    Without butter, without eggs, there is no reason to come to France. -Paul Bocuse

Administrator
    I've got it, waiting to post it. Captain?????

PMd a couple weeks ago. Is there a next?
    Older and wider..

Solid snake would be next

Administrator
    PM'd Snake and have his shipping addy. Will go Wed.
    Older and wider..

Awesome! Looking forward to it, I'll post in here when I've received the knife.