storing carbon knives for the season to prevent rust

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend asked me about ideas for this since I gave them some ODC knives when I visited them. (They are shutting down their summer home and so need to store their knives for 8-9 months.) I explained about camelia oil and anti rust papers but he wanted a quick and dirty solution that would use what he thinks of as more readily available materials. I thought of mineral oil or WD40, but WD40 really sucks to remove completely and is pretty toxic stuff anyway. Mineral oil is fine of course and should work OK. But, since parchment paper is silicone coated on both sides, wouldn't it be a very effective moisture barrier and the silicone would help as well if one wrapped ones knives in it - and he really wants to wrap the knives not just oil them..

TIA

I wouldn't really want to use WD40 on something that will touch food...

Yea I ruled out WD40 pretty quickly, mineral oil would be fine if he didn't have access to Camelia oil but the parchment paper idea really intrigues me...

In the little slip Moritaka sends out with their knives, they recommend sticking it in-between the pages of a telephone book and taping it shut as an alternative to mineral oil. Might be worth looking into if what he's looking for is a quick and dirty solution.

Does he have access to airtight containers large enough to place the knives in?

A way to store Japanese swords long term is to clean them with rubbing alcohol, let it evaporate completely (takes a few minutes) and then place the blade in an airtight shirasaya (think of it as an airtight wooden container).

Alcohol and then airtight container is preferred for long term storage as oil can pick up dirt and form droplets.

Most likely overkill for your needs, but an alternative to oil.

Another option is Renaissance Wax if he wants the easiest possible solution and doesn't mind spending a few dollars. Rub it on the knife and you're set until you remove it.

This youtube video is quite good regarding rust protection. The guy has put up a very cool experiment. It is quite long, especially in the beginning, do not hesitate to skip some part once you got the concept of the experiment.
[video=youtube;O7ZThs1y8xs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7ZThs1y8xs[/video]

...the parchment paper idea really intrigues me...

Thats a negative. As mentioned earlier, its not the correct type of paper.

I like the idea of rubbing alcohol (or acetone?) to have dead-clean surface.
Then storage in some kind of container that wont be a moisture trap.

Keep in mind, this DIY stuff will soon be more complex
and time consuming than ordering the correct supplies.

This youtube video is quite good regarding rust protection. The guy has put up a very cool experiment. It is quite long, especially in the beginning, do not hesitate to skip some part once you got the concept of the experiment.

I'm not sure how much of those are food safe.

Just keep in mind, industrial oils and solvents will typically leech into metals.

Lockheed found that washing welded titanium requires distilled water, as the chlorine present in tap water is corrosive; cadmium-plated tools could not be used as they also caused corrosion.[25] Metallurgical contamination was another problem; at one point 80% of the delivered titanium for manufacture was rejected on these grounds.

Even tap-water chemicals can leech into metals, as the SR-71 guys found out in the 1960s.

This is all probably getting a bit off topic, but its worth keeping in mind.
One over-simplifies as their own risk.

The person probably doesn't have this in their summer home, but an ideal solution might be to clean the knife well, and then use a home vacuum sealer to bag it in plastic. Can't rust if there's no air.

I just got one of these gadgets for the home kitchen, and aside from food storage, one of the recommended uses is long-term storing of jewelry or other small items that might tend to corrode. The rolls of plastic bag material would easily accommodate kitchen knives.

VCI anti-rust paper is the way to go. A lot of makers package and ship knives in it. It is food safe and requires regular testing and certification against chemical transfer. I’ve had knives stored in it for extended periods in less than ideal conditions without issue. Just clean and dry properly, wrap and store.

VCI anti-rust paper is the way to go. A lot of makers package and ship knives in it. It is food safe and requires regular testing and certification against chemical transfer. I’ve had knives stored in it for extended periods in less than ideal conditions without issue. Just clean and dry properly, wrap and store.

^^^This +++

I've been looking into getting larger amounts of VCI paper since it's worked so well for me. I seem to only be able to find giant rolls or single sheets. Anyone know of where to get a medium amount?

One other thing not yet mentioned <Kanto Okura Gas Anti-corrosive Polyethylene Bags> haven't used them but I found some at Aframes. Anyone have experience with these?

Is Japan really the best way to source it? I know it's used in America but it seems it's mostly used in bulk (aircraft components and the like) anyone had success buying from a stateside vendor? Even Amazon seems to ship from Japan

Is Japan really the best way to source it? I know it's used in America but it seems it's mostly used in bulk (aircraft components and the like) anyone had success buying from a stateside vendor? Even Amazon seems to ship from Japan

I thought Lee Valley had it, but I just checked their website (search for "corrosion") and they have several products, but not paper. They have treated plastic bags, drawer liners and cannisters to protect containers which might work. They also have sprays, wipes & waxes, just no paper listed.

VCI paper is the way to go. Many Japanese makers ship with each blade carfuly wraped in it. It looks like ordinary paper but it is not. However most people dont realize that VCI paper has a life limit. In open air inside a house with the blade conformaly wrapped inside its shipping box, it is good for a bit over a year. Sealed in a plastic ziplock, at least two makers of the paper I have checked with say it is good for about 3 years. There are all kinds of VCI products most are only availible in industrial quantities, paper squares,paper rolls of various widths, thermaly sealable plastic tubes, paper bags, plastic wrap, plastc bags, plastic ziplock bags. But for people with carbon knifes you only need at most a few dozen sheets of paper a year. I have had a heck of a time finding an inexpensive source for small yearly quanities of my VCI paper needs. But just this last week I found a source. You can get 12"x12" sheets for 25 cents each from of all places Chefs Knives To Go. Just search for VCI and there it is. Mark thinks of everything.

Last edited:
I lightly brush on Renaissance wax onto mine if they are going to not be used for awhile. For my daily users I use coconut oil.

Has anyone tried the zerust products- it appears to be the same chemical as the vci paper. It’s also about half the price if you order it direct from the manufacturer.

I was debating buying a big roll of vci paper myself but it seems easier to buy the plastabs and tape to the inside of the box.

Has anyone tried the zerust products- it appears to be the same chemical as the vci paper. It’s also about half the price if you order it direct from the manufacturer.

I was debating buying a big roll of vci paper myself but it seems easier to buy the plastabs and tape to the inside of the box.

Yes. I’ve tried it. It didn’t work as well as VCI paper for me.

Dump the knives in a bucket of vinegar and sit under the kitchen sink. Rust protection and removal at the same time.

Zerust is just another manufacturere of VCI products. I was thinking of buying a big roll of VCI paper originaly but I found out it was only good for a year. That makes for pretty expensive protection. Which is why I was glad I found Mark at CKTG had single sheets at a reasonable price. I ordered some last week but I forgot to ask how long he has had what he has in stock. If he bought it a year ago that won't do me a lot of good, and worse if I assume it is good for a year and it is almost expired and I store my knives with out protection and find them rusted that would not be happy day.

+1 VCI paper. If you want double security, you can put a VCI tab in the box they're stored in. That's how I store my Iwasaki Tamahagane Western straight, and it still looks brand new after 2 decades of humid bathroom storage.

Back