Quantcast
suisin inox honyaki sujihiki question
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: suisin inox honyaki sujihiki question

suisin inox honyaki sujihiki question

The suisin inox honyaki sujihiki's at CKTG are listed as having a single edge. Does anyone have experience using these? I've never used/sharpened a single bevel knife, is there a steep learning curve?
    Thanks for any input.

I don't have experience with the suisin series but the suji it is a double bevel knife. But with Japanese double bevel knives it is often that the sujis and honesukis of a given series are much more asymmetrically ground (80/20 or 90/10) than say gyutos.

The suisin suji is a double bevel knife, it is just sharpened with a very right hand bias.

Definitely double bevel. I have the petty from this line, but don't remember what the stock edge looked like, as it was on the stones 2 minutes after unwrapping.

Most of these lasers though have such small bevels on them to begin with that it doesn't really matter what the initial bevels are.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac J View Post
    Definitely double bevel...
    Yup.

PM sent to Cadillac J

I got impulsive and went ahead and purchased the 240mm suji. I figured I could always choke up on the blade if I needed a little less length.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac J View Post

Most of these lasers though have such small bevels on them to begin with that it doesn't really matter what the initial bevels are.
    +1 my thoughts exactly. It literally takes me minutes to flip an asymmetrical edge on a laser to a lefty bias on a 220 grit... not a big deal at all....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

i just got a 210mm suisin inox petty/suji and it is very bias on the right side. i sharpened it for the first time and did about 6 degrees on both sides evenly. normally when i have done this to other knives, the right side bevel is just a little wider than the left but on this knife, it looks like i was sharpening my konosuke HD which i only sharpen/thin on one side and only deburr on the other. the suisin has a wide bevel on the right side and has what looks like deburring marks on the other. not sure how its going to pan out over time but it looks to be very right handed
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"

+ Reply to Thread