Gyuto profile ideas.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Davis

Reaction score
I was thinking about a design for a gyuto, and i wanted your guys input. How do you think this profile would work?:scratchhead:
Handle:
Finger notch:
distance from handle to start of cutting edge:

I know a lot of you choke up on the blade to do a lot of your cutting and was wondering if this would be comfortable or not.
2011-10-31_23-17-56_471.jpg

Let me know what you guys think of this idea
Thanks
Mike

That drawing reminded me of a Cutco chef's knife with more flat space and a less pronounced tip. I think yours looks like a really good blade shape---hopefully you don't use Cutco's steel in this baby! (obviously kidding)
2gvq3x1.jpg

LOL! No...I was thinking more about the rounded finger area. As opposed to a flat choil against your finger, i want to make a rounded area for people to use as they use the knife. I was just thinking about comfort. Of course it will be completely rounded so there is no pinch points.

Profile looks good although knuckle clearance may be an issue. The notch, I don't know but it seems to me that it's not in the right place. Fujiwara Terayasu puts notches on some of his knives. That's probably a better spot.

This one that I did got good reviews from a chef and some of his students when I had them try it out:

PICT0029.JPG

I have long, skinny fingers, so I like big handles but small bolsters...so this looks fantastic to me. I really like this design. Just be sure to take the time to fully round ot that notch.

I love the profile. It reminds me of Yamawaku's gyuto, which to me is a good thing. The finger notch is a cool idea, and I like the placement.
On one of my knives, I extended the "neck/machi area" and it made a BIG difference in knuckle clearance. The only way to know for sure is to give it a try.

As others mentioned, usually the finger cutout extends horizontally into the choil, not vertically into the emoto. You could incorporate a little relief into the choil as well if you'd like. The only other concern I would have is making the emoto look too thin (a la the Addict). But if you started with a taller than normal emoto and then carved into it I think you would be okay. Your drawing looks fine, I just wouldn't make it any slimmer than it already is. I like how the handle matches the contour on the cutout. I say try it out on your next knife!

So...I remembered that i had a older Del profile laying around that he gave me so i figured i would try it on that....BTW....don't stick damascus into the etch and forget about it overnight lol....Need to sand this one down again and do it over lol
2011-11-02_13-25-09_96.jpg

This is the start of it, hopefully later this week i will have some pics of it finished.
Thanks for looking and the comments :)

Mike, I REALLY like the choil groove. If you need a guy to see how it goes, well I know a guy....

I think you might need a smaller contact wheel to do the one that is in your picture. I like it, but I don't like having the notch extend over the heel.

Back