• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Kato 240 gyuto standard(non wh)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoff_nocon

Reaction score
Want to trade my kato 240 gyuto. Interested in shig kitaeji any style except santokus and nakiris. Not interested in kasumi double bevel shigs unless its yo lol. Might consider single bevels. Or shorter katos 210,180 gyutos(+cash)or sujis. Anything interesting even jnats( but it has to be really kickass). Knife was lightly used then kasumi polished with jnats/fingerstones. Have to point out that the handle is a bit stained from the polishing mud but nothing a quick sanding couldnt fix.

WIll add cash if i have to

If i have to put a value to it id say 850USD. After seeing a 210 kato go for 850 i think its pretty fair.

Oh also interested in trading it for the illusive 240 KU kato gyuto will even add cash and yoshimitsu tamahagane watetsu gyuto any size

Lets make this more interesting. Depending on your offer im willing to add a second knife. I have a toyama 240 damascus or a doi 240 gyuto. So its this kato+1 of the 2 knives mentioned. Or both if its really really nice. Only if its worth more than the kato itself.

Full disclosure of what i did with the knife. i get messages saying that i might have thinned it. knife has been sharpened once by the prev owner. When i recieved it i tested it on 1 carrot then started polishing it. What i did was i used a 1 k stone on the whole blade face to remove the initial vertical grind marks. It has a close to perfect grind for bench stones, it allowed me to hit the entire blade face by applying pressure at the spot that i wanted to hit. Thats one of the reasons why i like polishing katos over shigs(specially kasumi). Then moved on to an 8k synth-ohira suita-fingerstones. Then gave it a microbevel using a hard jnat(cant remember which one).The knife has never touched anything bellow 1k ever. There were some low spots but it was shallow enough to be removed at 1k. I dont know if you would call that thinning but wanted to disclose everything just to clear things up.

Ho-hum, just dusted off my 225 Shig Kitaeji Usuba too. Oh well, waited too long.

Back