Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Removing attached base from Rika 5000

Well, the drying is not an issue with the Rika. I read elsewhere that permasoaking isn't recommended for Suehiro stones, anyways. Obviously people do it, but it is by no means required. Only thing is: The stone is very thirsty, so you should try and see that it isn't dried all too quickly, this might cause cracking. So don't put the wet stone on a radiator or something of that sort, where it would dry out all too fast. But, as Drosophil said, it is slightly messy to get the water out of the hollow spot between the base and the bottom of the stone, this requires some shaking and turning, and will take about 1 Minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Drosophil View Post
    This is where a dedicated "sharpening stuff" drawer comes in handy.
    A drawer turns into two and later a whole cabinet. I think soon it is going to have its own dedicated hobby room...

Quote Originally Posted by miggus View Post
    Well, the drying is not an issue with the Rika. I read elsewhere that permasoaking isn't recommended for Suehiro stones, anyways. Obviously people do it, but it is by no means required.
    I remember Jon saying that vitrified stones, like the Rika, can be safely permasoaked. Can't say if a 20 minute soak is enough since mine has been playing submarine since day one and it's fast enough that I've yet to see it asking for more water, but I'm sure permasoaking is not a must.
    'They do say, Mrs M, that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are, of course, wrong, as you will soon discover when I stick this toasting fork into your head.'

'They do say, Mrs M, that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are, of course, wrong, as you will soon discover when I stick this toasting fork into your head.'

Wow, great document! Thanks.

Can't say if a 20 minute soak is enough since mine has been playing submarine since day one and it's fast enough that I've yet to see it asking for more water, but I'm sure permasoaking is not a must.
    Yeah, actually, 10 minutes works well also. Dieter Schmidt, from whom I bought this stone, recommends 5-10 minutes. But since the stone does leak some water, it is required to splash a bit on top every few minutes. But this is very easily done, no fuzz required

Joure, Province of Friesland, The Netherlands.
    Atoma plates are splash and go? I find mine works better if I permasoak it.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmRoyale View Post
    Atoma plates are splash and go? I find mine works better if I permasoak it.
    1+