$200-ish Nakiri Fight: Yoshihiro VS Kurosaki VS Kochi VS...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btbyrd

Reaction score
Debating between a few carbon steel nakiris at roughly the same price point. The first is a Yoshihiro aogami super blue nakiri (item #ASKUUS165SH ) . As a note, I'm somewhat partial to this one. It's been on my Amazon.com wishlist for two or three years, and I have a 150mm petty from the same series, and it's great. This nakiri would sort of be the "bigger brother" to the petty -- same steel, same handle, same finish.
CKTG sells a simliar-seeming super blue from Kurosaki (item # KUROSAKIASNAKIRI ). It's stainless clad AS, and it's a bit softer than the Yoshi. Possibly less reactive? Seems slightly more refined and less rustic, but I don't mind a rustic knife one bit. This is the knife that gave me pause... I should have just ordered the Yoshi and not gone looking elsewhere, but then I found the Kurosaki and that really complicated things.
Also, JKI has a 180mm Kochi nakiri that looks intriguing. Not sure about the steel type., Apparently has a bit more "heft" compared to other nakiris. It's a bit bigger too.

I'm open to alternatives.

Just buy a KU Watanabe and end your nakiri needs for the rest of your life. For me he sets the benchmark as far as nakiris are concerned

The Watanabe is on my list as well. Interestingly, one of the reviews of the Kochi mentions preferring it highly to the Watanabe (for edge and "pleasure of use," whatever that means).

link for Kurosaki is dead. Kochi won't list steel, so forget it. Yoshihiro has cool ad, maybe the one. Heck, there are probably only 4 or 5 dozen American makers who could make something like that for you in Honyaki for just a little more $$$. enjoy which ever one you pick.

Watanabe is popular here I know, but I just got a Kurosaki 180mm Nakiri in R2 steel and I'm very happy with it (so far).

Note: the link to the Kurosaki at cktg is a 165mm version. I like the 180mm size much better, but YMMV. You can get the current Kurosaki lineup, including his 180mm Nakiri in Kurouchi clad/AS if you prefer, from japanny.com. That's where I got mine. It took about a week to arrive direct from Japan to West Coast USA.

link for Kurosaki is dead. Kochi won't list steel, so forget it. Yoshihiro has cool ad, maybe the one. Heck, there are probably only 4 or 5 dozen American makers who could make something like that for you in Honyaki for just a little more $$$. enjoy which ever one you pick.

Apparently CKTG links aren't allowed on the forum, but if you do a Google search for KUROSAKIASNAKIRI , it's the first result.

And the winner is:
Watanabe!

Hahaha... I realize that's sort of the "traditional wisdom" around here, and I sort of excluded them on purpose just to see what else might pop up. I figured that the Watanabe would show up soon enough, and boy was I right!

Watanabe is popular here I know, but I just got a Kurosaki 180mm Nakiri in R2 steel and I'm very happy with it (so far).

Note: the link to the Kurosaki at cktg is a 165mm version. I like the 180mm size much better, but YMMV. You can get the current Kurosaki lineup, including his 180mm Nakiri in Kurouchi clad/AS if you prefer, from japanny.com. That's where I got mine. It took about a week to arrive direct from Japan to West Coast USA.

That R2 stainless nakiri is beautiful! Thanks for the pointer to the 180mm Kurosaki at japanny.com. I'd overlooked that site in my recent searches. The hammered super blue looks rad, but I wish the hammered texture were a bit more like the hammering on your knife. At any rate, it's a definite contender. Looks to be worth the extra $, both for the extra length and for the finish.

Based solely on those three options I would pick the Yoshi. However, I do so with a superficial heart. Meaning, I like the way it looks and really like the optional saya.

Kochi Kurouchi is Takefu V2, great steel very similar to White/Blue, don't let the steel steer you away. Jon @ JKI doesn't stock crap, Kochi has just been around for too long and doesn't get the hype it used to.

That said, another +1 to Watanabe, unless you're feeling frisky and can step up to Toyama

The Watanabe comes with a plastic ferrule, which for most people = deal breaker. $35 for basic handle upgrade, $25 for shipping and you're uncomfortably close to Toyama territory, which comes with a one of the best basic handles (IMO) and free 2 day shipping from JNS.

Based solely on those three options I would pick the Yoshi. However, I do so with a superficial heart. Meaning, I like the way it looks and really like the optional saya.

We've got similarly superficial hearts in this regard. I already have 3 Yoshis with that style of saya, and adding another would only further bring the collection together. From a superficial standpoint, of course. I'm a big fan of the d-style rosewood handle on the petty I have, and this nakiri would have something similar. I also like how freaking hard it is, which seems like would only be an asset in a nakiri. Since you're not touching anything but veg -- no bone -- it shouldn't chip too readily in normal use.

I am really curious about the stainless clad super blue though, especially concerning its reactivity (or lack thereof). Super blue is reasonably nonreactive on its own, but having stainless join the party seems like a good idea.

I have the Watanabe. Big deal plastic ferrule. I don't cut with the handle.

I feel myself torn between the "the blade is all that matters" side of things and the "the complete package is all that matters" side of things. One side cares about handles and sayas and cosmetics; the other just cares about the steel. Both sides make sense to me, but I feel like my heart leans toward the total and the whole. I'd take a slightly inferior blade for a better overall experience any day.

Superficial heart... true story.

I already have 3 Yoshis with that style of saya, and adding another would only further bring the collection together. From a superficial standpoint, of course. I'm a big fan of the d-style rosewood handle on the petty I have, and this nakiri would have something similar.

Even though an optional saya is prominently displayed on the Yoshihiro page you linked, at the end of the product description, it states: This Kurouchi Nakiri knife does not fit with our Saya (Wooden Sheath).

If matching handles are a plus, Bernal has a Wakui nakiri with D-shaped rosewood handle. Currently, only the 165mm size is in stock. They previously carried a 180mm as well.

Like many here, I have the 180mm Watanabe and love it. Perfect size for this style of knife.

The Yoshihiro people will make a saya for most knives with a little lead time. I got one made for their super blue petty, whose item description also says that it's not compatible with their saya.

Thanks for the heads up about the Bernal knife; they also have a 180mm in super blue with a d-shaped ebony handle that's worth a look as well.

The Yoshihiro lacquered sayas really are pretty. I inquired about getting one for the super blue nakiri.

This is what I'm working with right now as far as carbon steel is concerned, plus an unrelated 105mm tall petty for mincing. These are all from Yoshihiro.

image upload

Do have a look at the Masakage Kochi 165 nakiri. At around 56-58 mm height and 170g it is about a perfect nakiri. The HT of the AS is great too and even though it is stainless clad it actually takes a rather nice kasumi finish.

That Masakage looks nice, and I see some other finishes from that maker that look excellent. Thanks for bringing them to my attention.

I believe I've found another serious contender: A Katsushige Anryu hammered AS 165mm. I think that might be the one. The hammered finish is speaking to me, along with the super-blue and the d-shaped rosewood handle.

Silly you, could've order from "seisukeknife.com" Japanny US store lol.

Silly you, could've order from "seisukeknife.com" Japanny US store lol.

That's where I ordered! 2 day delivery, coast to coast (from Portland to NC). They also took pictures of the knife in 2 different sayas for me (without my asking) and took pictures of the profilie/choil for me (with my asking). I was very happy with the communication and shipping speed. It's out for delivery now!

I didn't know they had a US store. I just looked, they carry not even 10% of the stuff...

That's why I ordered direct from japanny.com. At the time I was buying, that nakiri was out of stock. There's a lot more available at the main web site.

Back