Sous Vide London broil

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've read mixed things here on it done via sous vide, but I'm going to try it this weekend. Was too good of a price to pass up. I've got two slabs of beef, each about 1.5 pounds each. Any advice? I was thinking dry rub with s+p, garlic and onion powder, smoked paprika, little brown sugar. Throw in some fresh thyme. 131F for, what, 7 hours? Then sear.

Definitely not one of my favorite cuts of meat. Can tend to have a metallic, livery flavor. Mustard can help overcome that, so I would toss in some colemans dry mustard powder if you have it. It mellows over time, so don't worry about having too strong of a mustard bite.

I'd also recommend having a sauce to go with it. Other than that, your approach sounds completely fine. Maybe 7 hours is overkill for a cut that barely has any connective tissue, but it comes down to personal taste.

Thanks, Damage. I don't want it too mushy, any recommendations on time? I've read 7 hours to 24, the latter of which leads to a bad texture.

I'll definitely add some colemans. I'll go a bit heavy handed with it.

As for sauce, I was thinking stock, shallots, bag juices, butter. Or just a garlic butter drizzle.

All opinions welcome.

You know what, on second thought, 7 hours or so sounds about right. I wouldn't go higher, but then again, I like a little chew on my meat. My favorite cut is still hangar/onglet served rare if that tells you anything.

Colemans will get you some great bag juices. Add some stock to it, some shallots, chopped parsley, a splash of good balsamic and you'll have a killer sauce.

Please let us know how it turned out. I do my london broil cross cut salt and pepper then toss on thw grill squeezing fresh lime on it as it cooks. 3-4 minutes a side and done.

Maybe it's the lime juice but I never picked up on the liver notes.

I don't think so. It's going to be in the sous vide for so many hours, I don't think an overnight cold marinade will do much.

If you are doing marinade in the sous vide bag, just make sure it lines up with the kind of sauce you want to make from the bag juices.

Thanks for the tips. It turned out very good and satiated my steak craving on the cheap. I used the bag liquid to make a quick sauce with butter, sauteed onions, celery, garlic, stock, tomato paste, and fresh thyme. Reduced then strained.

IMG_1352.JPG

Brian to maximize tenderness, next time try slice thinly against the grain on a bias. Sort of like slicing sashimi. Nice color and crust

Yeah, I was having a hard time finding the grain after it was cooked. And hungry. Thanks for the suggestions. Bite sized pieces were very tender, though it had me wondering if I sliced poorly.

Back