Pocket knives for chefs?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DitmasPork

Reaction score
Just curious, but wondering if there are many pocket knives on the market designed by knife makers who are also designers of chefs knives? I can think of Ken Onion's orange "Leek" by Kershaw, that's used by Andrew Zimmern; JKI carries some rustic looking pocket knives; I also remember seeing a Kato folding knife that JNS posted years ago.

Regarding blade shape, I can imagine the usefulness of a petty knife that was a folding blade.

Here's a fun video on a folding kitchen knife:
[video=youtube;fOeuq3aHXEM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=119&v=fOeuq3aHXEM[/video]

I could imagine some kind of little parer made in a folding knife design. Anything bigger than that will have a huge handle. The main issue using a folding knife in a kitchen on a more regular bases is getting food rests inside the knife - a place that is never particularly easy to clean.

I agree that a Leek with its super thin and narrow blade would be a good candidate.

AM-5UBK2.JPG

I'm not sure why I would want a folding kitchen knife but to each their own. I am only a home cook, though.

I'm not sure why I would want a folding kitchen knife but to each their own. I am only a home cook, though.

It might be of value when traveling.

Panda, that AlMar is a great example. Probably hard to better that.

Opinels have nice thin slicer blades perfect for food use and come in carbon steel flavor as well. Inexpensive and have a certain elegance. I'm a fan of the olive-wood-handled ones.

ndeg10_carbone_web.jpg

ndeg08_olive_wood_web.jpg

It might be of value when traveling.

Panda, that AlMar is a great example. Probably hard to better that.

Knife bag and regular kitchen knives? I mean, if I am traveling far and need to take a flight it is not like I can tote a knife in my pocket anyway. Or is this like: "in a survival situation...:

Now, a regular pocket knife that can double as a camp knife or a paring knife or what have you is one thing. I don't know about a folding gyuto or anything like that, though...Just seems gimmicky.

Both the Al Mar and Opinel seem logical and within reason to me but something more than that, not so much.

Nice knife! I was just looking at the Kershaw Al Mar collaboration knife—have you seen it? Budget version of the Al Mar for around $30.

I really don't need a pocket knife—but once in a blue moon it's something that would be useful.

Nice knife! I was just looking at the Kershaw Al Mar collaboration knife—have you seen it? Budget version of the Al Mar for around $30.

I really don't need a pocket knife—but once in a blue moon it's something that would be useful.

I love pocket knives, I have tons of them. I like fixed blades too. I am not so sure about a pocket gyuto, though. :) Then again, it might be cool from a collecting standpoint.

I took one of the Kershaw/Al Mar collaborations to Cambodia with me last March. Useful pocket knife for traveling but I'm not sure I would call it a substitute for a paring knife around the kitchen.

By the way, I took a Canadian North Arm lockback flipper to Chiang Mai a few weeks ago and really liked it as an all purpose pocket knife. And the Shanghai cops let me keep it! :) On the other hand, the bartender in the Belgium expat bar in Chiang Mai almost wet his panties when I snapped it open to cut my hamburger in two. :)

By the way, I took a Canadian North Arm lockback flipper to Chiang Mai a few weeks ago and really liked it as an all purpose pocket knife. And the Shanghai cops let me keep it! :) On the other hand, the bartender in the Belgium expat bar in Chiang Mai almost wet his panties when I snapped it open to cut my hamburger in two. :)

Just looked it up—the North Arm Skaha in day-glo yellow looks very cool! Since posting this thread I've been researching folders a bit—might splurge on a Benchmade 940-2. Not that I really need it.

I was going to mention the North Arm flipper. I almost bought one before the hype and long wait, but the blade is too long to carry where I live.
Very cool company. They use great steel (CPM S35VN) and CNC their blades, instead of grinding, and then hand sharpen.
I did buy their Mallard bird and trout knife which has the same steel as the flipper but even thinner. It's a great slicer. It's my camp knife when I travel.
I'm sure the flipper will behave like a folding paring knife.

The Al Mar ultralights are also a great choice for a folding food prep knife, but they don't hold their edge as long as modern steels if you also use them for everyday cutting chores.

I'm carrying a Spyderco Delica 4. The 2.5mm thick flat grind blade is great for food prep. The VG-10 blade is easy to maintain and sharpen. That's what I'd recommend in a modern folder.

P1050034.jpg

North Arm Mallard with Kydex sheath and Spyderco Delica 4.
The lines on the North Arm knife are from the CNC process.

Either of these knives, with a little Epicurean board, can be a pretty capable travel prep set up.

Just curious, but wondering if there are many pocket knives on the market designed by knife makers who are also designers of chefs knives?

Takeda makes both kitchen knives & folders. He also makes fixed blades, axes, chisels, and many other tools.

472c7fd165c0dbc21d1475e90bba0445.jpg

takedachoil.jpg

There's many Japanese blacksmiths that do too, I just can't recall the ones I've come across..

I was going to mention the North Arm flipper. I almost bought one before the hype and long wait, but the blade is too long to carry where I live.
Very cool company. They use great steel (CPM S35VN) and CNC their blades, instead of grinding, and then hand sharpen.
I did buy their Mallard bird and trout knife which has the same steel as the flipper but even thinner. It's a great slicer. It's my camp knife when I travel.
I'm sure the flipper will behave like a folding paring knife.

The Al Mar ultralights are also a great choice for a folding food prep knife, but they don't hold their edge as long as modern steels if you also use them for everyday cutting chores.

I'm carrying a Spyderco Delica 4. The 2.5mm thick flat grind blade is great for food prep. The VG-10 blade is easy to maintain and sharpen. That's what I'd recommend in a modern folder.

There may be some cities with local laws that the North Arms flipper would be too long for but I'm not aware of any state regs in WA, OR or CA that would prohibit one.

There may be some cities with local laws that the North Arms flipper would be too long for but I'm not aware of any state regs in WA, OR or CA that would prohibit one.

Correct, legal in CA but not in all cities. I live in Oakland where a blade over 3" is considered a "dangerous weapon" and therefore illegal to carry.

Correct, legal in CA but not in all cities. I live in Oakland where a blade over 3" is considered a "dangerous weapon" and therefore illegal to carry.

Not to get too off track—but what's the difference between carrying a 3.5" blade pocketknife and and carrying a knife roll stuffed with 8–10" chef knives?

In NY there's an outdated law that's still on the books:

New York - Penal Law Section 265.01. A person is guilty of
criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree when:
(1) He possesses any firearm, electronic dart gun, electronic stun
gun, gravity knife, switchblade knife, pilum ballistic knife, metal
knuckle knife, cane sword, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, metal knuckles,
chuka stick, sand bag, sandclub, wrist-brace type slingshot or
slungshot, shirken or "Kung Fu star"; or
(2) He possesses any dagger, dangerous knife, dirk, razor, stiletto,
imitation pistol, or any other dangerous or deadly instrument or weapon
with intent to use the same unlawfully against another; or
(5) He possesses any dangerous or deadly weapon and is not a
citizen of the United States
Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree is a class A
misdemeanor.

Gotta be a citizen to own a knife in NY!!!!

In Oakland you can have longer knives (i.e. kitchen knives) in your possession as long they are for the purpose of "lawful occupation"or "lawful recreation" and they are not used to commit any public offense by law.

Oakland CA - Code of Ordinance

Article I. - Dangerous Weapons

9.36.010 - Dangerous weapon defined.
As used in this article, "dangerous weapon" means and includes, but is not limited to:

A. Any knife having a blade three inches or more in length, or any snap-blade or spring-blade knife regardless of the length of the blade;
B. Any ice pick or similar sharp stabbing tool;
C. Any straight edge razor or any razor blade fitted to a handle;
D. Any cutting, stabbing or bludgeoning weapon or device capable of inflicting grievous bodily harm;
E. Any dirk or dagger or bludgeon.

9.36.020 - Carrying dangerous weapon.
It is unlawful for any person to carry upon his or her person or to have in his or her possession or under his or her control any dangerous weapon; provided that it shall be a defense to any prosecution for a violation of this section if, at the time of the alleged violation, the instrument or device alleged to be a dangerous weapon was in good faith carried upon the person of the accused or was in good faith in his or her possession or control for use in his or her lawful occupation or employment or for the purpose of lawful recreation; and provided, further, that the provisions of this section shall not apply to the commission of any act which is made a public offense by any law of this state.

@DitmasPork I heard they consider most any folder a gravity knife in NYC if they don't like your nose?

Bill Burke makes a pretty good folder :doublethumbsup:

I use a CRK sebenza for minor food prep. I usually have one or two sitting around if I was opening packages and if I dont have a paring knife handy I'll use it. Fantastic little cutter.

What do you guys make of the Spyderco Roc? I think it looks rather badass.

[video=youtube;rfdgqi3hlIc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfdgqi3hlIc[/video]

What do you guys make of the Spyderco Roc? I think it looks rather badass.

[video=youtube;rfdgqi3hlIc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfdgqi3hlIc[/video]

Great when it's open. Too wide of a profile when it's closed. I love Spydercos, but many of them have very intrusive profiles for pocket carry.

You may be right. But I think Papa's gotta have it. I don't really do EDC anyway, but this looks like a perfect blade for around the house, on a picnic, or on the trail. And unlike almost all other folders I've looked at, it looks like it might actually be some fun on the stones (even though it's VG10). It's kind of expensive, and I wish the washers were metal. I wonder if that's something that can be changed aftermarket.

Well, you sold me on that one. The profile and overall look of the Roc are great, but the steel, handle, and washers should be better for that amount of coin. It's really a $95 dollar knife with a $150 price tag. If they either cut the price or improved the quality, I'd be all over it. The Spydiechef, while more expensive, looks like a much better value. Its weirdo steel, titanium handle, and metal washersydiec easily make it worth the extra 40 bucks. I'm a little worried that the chef is all belly. We'll see...

I'm not going to stop wanting the blade on that Roc tho...

Well, you sold me on that one. The profile and overall look of the Roc are great, but the steel, handle, and washers should be better for that amount of coin. It's really a $95 dollar knife with a $150 price tag. If they either cut the price or improved the quality, I'd be all over it. The Spydiechef, while more expensive, looks like a much better value. Its weirdo steel, titanium handle, and metal washersydiec easily make it worth the extra 40 bucks. I'm a little worried that the chef is all belly. We'll see...

I'm not going to stop wanting the blade on that Roc tho...

Love the Marcin Slycz designs.

For a lot less dough, you can score a killer Southard design (if you don't mind the S30V):
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP...per-cpm-s30v-plain-blade-carbon-fiber-handles

Back