• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Cheap but good board butter.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naifu

Reaction score
I bought way too much beeswax (32 ounces) to make board butter, so I am offering 8 ounces (227 grams) for $3.00 which is the cost of materials plus container and mailer. I just don't want the beeswax to go to waste. This is cosmetic grade beeswax mixed with food grade mineral oil in the ratio of 1:7. Many recipes call for 1:4, but I find that recipe is too hard to apply to your board and too waxy. The formula which I like best is 1:7 because a thin layer applied to the board will allow the oil to be soaked into the wood grain, leaving a thin dry wax film on the surface that repels liquids. I also use this on wooden plates, bowls, and knife handles.

USPS first class shipping is $3.80 (sorry, US only). So $7.31 for 8 ounces covers materials, shipping, and the PayPal fees. Please try this -- you will be glad you did. 8 ounces will last a long time. Send me a PM with your PP email address, and I will send you an invoice.

uSLMvgy.jpg

BTW, I can just fit two of these in a priority flat rate box which saves a little on postage. 2 x 8 ounces (2 cups) for $13.85 total ($7.15 postage + $0.70 PP fee). if you want several of these, it will be more economical to use a medium flat box for $13.60. It is $3.00 for 8 ounces of board butter + postage + PP fee. I have enough beeswax for about 30 x 8 ounces.

Last edited:
I had a good run on these the first day -- sold 7, and I have another 7 ready to go, and I have enough beeswax for another 15, so please help me out and buy one or several. $3.00 plus shipping.

MjoovPo.jpg

My order came today. Very well packaged & packed and exactly as described. It's a little thinner and softer than other products I've tried and I expect this will soak in and work better. I'm looking forward to trying when our board is next a little dry.

Delivery was QUICK and well packed. I will be doing my Boardsmith and my HHH board with it this week.

Thanks
Randy

I echo all the other shipping comments. I applied it this am and it seems like it should work nicely. Heck, for this price it is a no brainer.

I have 11 left to sell. This board butter it is made from food grade mineral oil and cosmetic grade beeswax which is food safe and ideal for your cutting boards and knife handles. The typical board butters are hard and too waxy in my opinion, which coats the surface with a layer of wax that must be removed. For a dry board, you can slather this on. For a well seasoned board, I usually sanitize every couple of weeks with a mixture of clorinated bleach and water per the directions of TheBoardSmith, and afterwards apply a very light layer of my board butter. In about four hours the mineral oil will soak into the wood fiber, and then sort of dry leaving a very light layer of beeswax on the surface. My boards are silky smooth, showing no knife cuts on the surface after months of use, and they repel liquids. Here are a few photos of one of my maple BoardSmith block which I use daily.

DgxksAw.jpg

RffyZTi.jpg

JniZb2n.jpg

I'm almost out of material now. Two remaining.

I am out of beeswax, so my career as board butter manufacturer and salesman has ended. Thank you KKF!

Thank you! This stuff is absolutely great, glad I got in when I did!

Got mine today. Exceeded my expectation. Works great and two tubs will last a lifetime. Thanks for doing this. This was clearly a forum good samaritan project.

Got mine today. Exceeded my expectation. Works great and two tubs will last a lifetime. Thanks for doing this. This was clearly a forum good samaritan project.

I kept two myself. Glad you like it.

Back