Looking for a present to myself, gyuto ~210mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mpower

Reaction score
Hello,

as the title says, I am looking for a new knife for myself:

Germany

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese Handle prefered

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
~210mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
150 €

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
no replacement

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch Grip, Finger Point

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push Cut, Rocking Motion, Walking

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Japanese blade shape

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Easy to sharpen

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
It would be okay to sharpen every 2 weeks

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Thank you for your help

Would you prefer a thin blade with some flex, a thick blade with no flex but thin behind the edge or something in between?

Does the weight of the knife have a bearing on your choice? Light or heavier?

Are you more comfortable with a rounder belly on the knife (like German and French chef knives) or more of a flatter profile?

The 210 gyuto universe is massive and a little more detail in your preferences can open up many, many recommendations.

I think something in between flex and thickness should be the right way for me and it shouldn't be too heavy.

I am currently just using German chef knives and as first preference I would go with this profile

Yes I guess I will have to remain from using that ways with the new knives. Which technique would u recommend to cut herbs

Yes I guess I will have to remain from using that ways with the new knives. Which technique would u recommend to cut herbs

[video=youtube;Rx1U-bja3i8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx1U-bja3i8[/video]

i'am looking for nearly the same knife like you described but more of a flat spot
i gifted the aoki knife as a 150mm petty to a friend but for my preference it was to thick otherwise it was a nice knife
greetings from Nürnberg

That AOKI Sakai Takayuki Suminagashi Tsuchime Wa Gyuto looks really thick.

After the video I would say I would be comfortable with a more flat geometry

Slightly out of your budget and momentarily not available - the Itinomonn StainLess is a fantastic knife for the money - great grind, nice F&F, excellent edge holding. Price and availability is the same for Munetoshi 210 - I have the 240 and if you like flatter profile and workhorse-ish grind, it is a great knife. The wide bevel on this knife is not too wide what in my opinion makes the knife better. Apart from very hard & tall vegetables is performs fantastically in anything else.

As the OP comes from German chef's knives he might consider a smoother transition to Japanese ones by starting with a carbon yo-blade. Still much lighter, more forward balanced, harder steel, with a pronounced asymmetry, a flatter profile, all enough to get used to.

The Itinomonn I also had a look on, now Im thinking about more budget :D

The Itinomonn I also had a look on, now Im thinking about more budget :D
I have a 210 Itinomonn StainLess gyuto and honestly I love it. Light but not too light, great edge geometry, very good fit and finish, "StainLess" core takes on a nice patina, very easy to sharpen. One note is that it has a much flatter profile than any western chef's knife. Some will find it takes some getting used to.

I have this 210 and love it. A real work horse. I redid the finish and thinned the front and evened things out but that was not necessary. Great handle for a $99 knife. Yamashin White #1 Gyuto 210mm

This Blue #2 is in your budget. Tanaka Kurouchi Gyuto 210mm

In your price range Kurouchi finish is a way to get a better knife because they spend less time on the finish work. You can do that work yourself with sandpaper on a hard block or better with stones.

GLWS

I think I'll go with the itinomonn , hope it will be available soon

These never take too long to get back in stock. Send Maxim an email if you want to be sure.

Now its back in stock, but the price changed enormously: From 180 € to 260 €

There was an announced price increase accross the board with many Japanese knife retailers a while back. Maybe this price reflects that increase? I know Toyamas were increased in price very recently too so it wouldn't be odd.

44 percent price increase? That doesn't sound fair

Are you looking at the same sizes of knife? Maybe one price is for the 210 and the other for the 240? No idea. I agree 40% increase is pretty huge.

So since it's now out of my budget a lot I need to find something else

takamura r2 210mm gyuto would be my recommendation but you want wa handle

Back