What ya eating lately...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to start a thread about food and taste. I've been actively and passionately cooking for most of my life and I find food and all its ramifications endlessly fascinating and creatively satisfying. I'm always seeking new ingredients, techniques and flavors. I discover new things daily and wanted to post a thread on what others have discovered in their food journey?

Share what you discovered today. What you're eating, what you just discovered that just blowing your mind and can't get enough of...

Shoyu ramen at Slurp in Copenhagen has had me wanting to try and recreate it at home.

Roasted Greek lemon chicken with perfectly browned golden potato wedges. I normally do not like lemon in my cooked foods, but this ticks all my flavor boxes (except sweet which I'm ok with).

Love colder weather comfort food!

Milk braised pork belly w/paprika new potatoes and bay leaf. Lately I've been trying to simplify my dishes. To elevate the flavor and texture of a few choice ingredients presented irresistibly.

1.)Pressure cook a salted/seasoned 3 LBS skin-less pork belly in chix broth and parsley stems (30 min). Press and cool.
2.) Cut into three squares brown edges in med-hot pan
3.) Dump fat, add whole milk 1/2 up the side of pork, add new potatoes, dust them with salt, pepper, paprika and add a few fresh bay leaves. Cover with parchment, cook 350 for 60 min. Remove to stove top, reduce pan sauce as desired. Serve along side med. dice pickled beets.

You could really taste the bay leaf in the cream sauce. The paprika did well to give it a nice red almost saffron color with a hint of smokey pepperiness. The milk braised an already tender pork belly gave a nice flavor contrast to the sauce and really amped up the porkyness of the meat.

I know, I know. No pics so this never happened. It was good though.

homemade pita (thanks to kostantinos) and just purchased up a used smoker yesterday so I can try out his half smoke recipe.

Probably not quite in the spirit of this thread, but I will mention Supermoon Bakehouse because it recently opened in NYC and I recently discovered it just outside my hotel a couple of weeks ago at lower Eastside. It is a very clean layout storefront that displays what they have on a long pink granite counter, and behind a tall glass wall are the pastry chefs who craft filled crescents, donuts, and cruffins. The taste of these artisan pastries blew my mind. I have never ate a filled donut that tasted as good as these do. I don't know what they use to fill them, but it is pure magic.

Check out the yelp page for more photos, and I recommend that you make a diversion to Rivington and Essex next time you are in NYC.

U24RIqK.jpg

Thanks for a positive thread Dennis, makes me smile.

As for me, I'm slowly starting to discover some of the excellent restaurants in my new state (Maine) and its been amazing.

As far as cooking I'm looking forward to trying Sebastian's creme fraiche dumplings.

Tuesdays is 15% off for seniors at Japanese place. Janice had Miso butterfish. Everything is set with miso soup, rice & salad. I had Tempura shrimp with veg. (tempura pumpkin, beans, carrot, sweet potato. ) & fried oysters.

As far as cooking I'm looking forward to trying Sebastian's creme fraiche dumplings.

Me too! They look fantastic.

Did not have time yet as this weekend I was attempting chinfana. Portuguese dish with goat meet braised for hours in red wine. Delicious!

I have something I am embarrassed to admit.

I lay down at night and dream of the food we ate in Japan.

Asparagus is in season in Australia at the moment. So far this week we've had asparagus soup, roasted pumpkin, asparagus and feta quiche, orrechiette with asparagus sauce and roast pumpkin and asparagus risotto is on the menu for tomorrow night.

Did I mention I love asparagus?

Cured and smoked bacon at home earlier in the week. Currently Pizole in the new instant pot by wife picked up on sale yesterday.

• Spanish cured meats: Jamón Pata Negra, Chorizo Ibérico, Caña de lomo, and Salchichón Ibérico
  • Foie Gras mouse encrusted with pistachio
  • Assorted cheeses

Life and food good!

Hope your drinking some nice wine with that charcuterie

Sadly for me, no, but my Wife had a glass of wine with it. I am eating a Ketogenic diet to keep my blood glucose low, so I have deleted alcohol from my diet. I miss cocktails, wine and beer, but I'm sticking to my plan.

I am on a diet so food intake and variety is limited now. My guilty pleasure is homemade pumpkin preserves with habanero peppers over arrugola....

This week following a visit to my friends' farm I went on a Latin meat tear.. tira de asado con chimichurri, beef cutlet silpancho, pulled pork carnitas. May have to check my cholesterol after this week

Savory lipton mushroom and onion soup mix salisbury steak with dark brown gravy and whipped butter potatoes.

There is wonderful food being made all around the world, but for those that didn't grow up on Lipton Onion Soup Mix (and derivatives) you must see it out.

It's the mother classic American seasoning mix for meat in any minced form. When incorporated into meat loaf, meat balls, Salisbury steak, Swedish meatballs... for us, its a transporter back to our childhood. Brings you back to when we we're fighting with our siblings on who's going to go first.

Ironically, I don't make soup with it. Yuck.

Its salty, savory, peppery, bold, a little in your face, but all love.

Tip: I mix the spices with water to hydrate it before adding to the mince.

OH, It only improves the dish when saved as a left over.

See it out. Life it too short.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TRL87U/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Rami_m dreams of Ramen?

🤣🤣

First time we went we happened across a soba festival up in the mountains. I was hooked. No where else have I found soba as good.

We found passable ramen in Sydney. But no where as good as Tokyo.

Latest posts

Back