Media Gingered Butternut Squash Coulis

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThEoRy

Founding Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;a-Yc5Cf9eis]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-Yc5Cf9eis[/video]

Not shown garlic and cilantro.

Knife used:
Remedy 240mm

Yeah, I'd love to hear the end result/full recipe. I've been cooking a lot of butternut squash thus far this winter, the stuff available at the greenmarket has been remarkably good. Basic purees with different flavors thus far (black walnut and ginger being hugely successful) so I'd love to try something else.

The full instructions are on the youtube page in the description. Pretty simple just cook together till soft, add stock, simmer, blend, strain, season.

Ah, thanks! I watched the embed only -- didn't click through. Interesting, the use of cilantro... I'll definitely give it a shot.

I'd really like to know your thoughts on that knife. Fit and finish, edge retention, grind etc. :)

It's kinda like a tkc clone/kikiuchi performance. Cpm154 gets pretty effing sharp and has good edge retention. Sharpens easily enough too. I had some issues with the fit and finish of the bolster, spine and choil though. Bolster was slightly bigger on one side than the other which made it look a bit off to me. The real issue though was comfort. Even with my callused hands this puppy hurt! I had to ease the spine a bit and round the choil a lot. Used a diamond plate for this and it worked easily. I suggested to Mark that maybe a bit thicker on the spine right next to the bolster with a distal taper would also improve comfort for pinch grippers like me.

Overall a pretty good knife with some minor issues that can be easily mended. Again it kinda feels like you are using a tkc clone almost.

Interesting, sounds promising. A cheap way to try out some nice steel. Thanks for your thoughts!

Yeah, I'd love to hear the end result/full recipe. I've been cooking a lot of butternut squash thus far this winter, the stuff available at the greenmarket has been remarkably good. Basic purees with different flavors thus far (black walnut and ginger being hugely successful) so I'd love to try something else.

I made a butternut squash risotto a couple nights ago for a special at work. Turned out quite nice.

Back