Best food release?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Heiji gyuto probably has the best food release of the knives I have tried, but it cracks on root vegetables depending on the cutting technique. Watanabe also has nice food release and is much smoother through most products. I have a Dalman gyuto that also gives pretty nice food release, but I need to use it a bit more before I come to any stronger opinions.

I have a cousin that swears by the hole punch method but he lives too far for me to bring knives, a bag of food, and my note book for keeping betting odds and tracking winnings.

@labor of love "KKF compatible takeda" or "battleship takeda"?

Also... for some reason, "chopped food doesn't stick to blade" and "knife doesn't tend to tear up precarious dicing stacks"* seem to be related but not identical...

*That is something where curiously, Kiwis do not fare badly (probably very little displacement within the stack due to the very thin blades, and the hollow grind+blade road design might direct stuff well away from the blade body) - though obviously, once something does stick to the polished surface...

@labor of love "KKF compatible takeda" or "battleship takeda"?

Also... for some reason, "chopped food doesn't stick to blade" and "knife doesn't tend to tear up precarious dicing stacks"* seem to be related but not identical...

*That is something where curiously, Kiwis do not fare badly (probably very little displacement within the stack due to the very thin blades, and the hollow grind+blade road design might direct stuff well away from the blade body) - though obviously, once something does stick to the polished surface...

Haha. Yeah I wouldn’t really enjoy using any of the takedas I’ve owned for delicate work. Just regular food fall off all bade all the time time sort of thing. But I’ve never owned a real thin one.

I'd suggest Watanabe/Toyoma for workhorse, V2 Kochi for a wide bevel and for a thinner knife I'd say Tanaka.

I don't think the knife has anything to do with food sticking. I was slicing potatoes, ones from first bag no sticking. opened a second bag, almost every slice stuck. had same thing happen with cucumbers and other veg.

I cut potatoes in half lengthwise and then lay the halves flat-then pull cuts and stacking in whichever manner makes sense. Slicing with just the tip has always worked for me. If the tip has decent thinness that is.

Well, I can tell you what not to get for food release...... sukenari Damascus cladded anything! Biggest food magnate ever!

Munetoshi.

Also, and this could just be coincidence, I often find kurouchi knives to be really good at food release when cutting potatoes.

Wilburn Forge, his knives have the best food release i have ever used.

Of my knives my Tansu, Watanabe and Yoshikane have best food release overall. For thinner knives, Tristone (double convex grind), Dalman (S grind) and Gengetsu (not sure what the grind is) have better food release than other well executed knives of similar thickness.

Amongst the Europeans: the Prendergast's and the Haburn's I've tried had an excellent food release. Some Herders as well, others less. Same for old Sabs. One has to get used to a knife, and sharpen it properly.

Mazaki & Kato

--But this question needs to be more clear, most people here are responding w/r/t gyutos but a suji or yana is going to have much better release than a gyuto so a better question might be what knives have the best food release relative to thickness (and height). In that case something like wakui or takeda or munetoshi (like others have mentioned) begins to stand a chance. Also all handmade knives differ knife to knife, even makers that are relatively consistent vary, I've used a fat-arse Watanabe gyuto with very mediocre food release... rant could go on forever. and honestly knife skills is also an underrated supplier of food release but you can't buy that so who cares about it... rant rant rant :scared4:

Back