Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Purchase research mindset

I think it's as much a function of personality as anything. A function of how quickly you're driven to make a decision as well as the desire for information.

Depends on how you define "simplicity". I think you have to consider how an object will be used when you catagorize it as simple. Yesterday I needed to hack some plactic nursery ties off a tree in the yard. The "knife" selected for the application was a cultivator tine--it was right there, was only needed once, and didn't require a walk back into the house. A simple tool and a simple, fast selection (a sharp rock was also under consideration, but there wasn't one handy.) My cell phone is a far more complex device than a kitchen knife, but all I care about is that it's cheap and I can use it for emergency calls. The level of "research" involved going to Amazon and looking at the reviews to make sure it isn't a piece of garbage.

Since I've "retired" and started cooking a lot more, it's become time to upgrade the old wedding present knives and get some serious tools. This might mean spending some money (I've never been sorry when I spend a little more to get a good tool) so I want to understand what features I need and the purpose of different options. When you start looking at different types of alloys in some of these knives, you're no longer looking at a "simple" tool--there's an awful lot of science behind the creation/selection of the different materials. So much that I've dusted off my old engineering materials text to use as a reference. And materials selection/treatment doesn't even begin to take aesthetics and functionality into account. Something that works well and is a work of art besides makes you feel good every time you use it. Hardly a simple tool.

Given the examples listed, I would(and do) feel this way:
    If I ever have a staple crumple/break on me, or fall apart when I am loading them, or rust--this pisses me off. It's the difference of a few dollars to never have a staple problem. A new car vs a new car that never has problems is TENS of THOUSANDS of dollars.

And cell phones...I told the guy at the store(thankfully he was a huge phone nerd and has been great to me) that I need a phone that will always have a signal and is loud enough to hear in the kitchen when my wife is doing naptime on the other end of the line. I am annoyed that there isn't a phone that is made that has no moving parts, is strong enough to survive being dropped out of a car on the highway, battery that lasts a long time, has a great antenna, big buttons, and a loud, clear speaker. No videochat, tiny size, or apps needed. Just a loud, durable, effective phone that kicks ass at being a phone.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post

I am annoyed that there isn't a phone that is made that has no moving parts, is strong enough to survive being dropped out of a car on the highway, battery that lasts a long time, has a great antenna, big buttons, and a loud, clear speaker. No videochat, tiny size, or apps needed. Just a loud, durable, effective phone that kicks ass at being a phone.
    Here you go: http://www.amazon.com/The-Original-T...0340397&sr=1-2