Quantcast
Product Shill Wanted - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Product Shill Wanted

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    I thought I'd have some fun with the shill concept, sort of get it out in the open. Hell it's providing me enough fun already that I might even go through with it. Hell, we could even have a contest to name it? I'm thinking "Project Shill", anyone have have any other ideas?

I should take this to Facebook & Tweet on it too.
    Careful now, we don't want another "Mrknife Fanatic." 6 months ago thinking a Calphalon Katana was an amazing knife, and now doing product reviews for a certain website.
    Last edited by Andrew H; 11-02-2011 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Damn you censors!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    Careful now, we don't want another "Mrknife Fanatic." 6 months ago thinking a Calphalon Katana was an amazing knife, and now doing product reviews....

Oh man that guy is without a doubt the biggest shill that I've ever seen in the knife community. I guess he fools those people who don't know his history? It's like saying that you're a surgeon or a Navy Seal....who would doubt you if they didn't know you before? All it takes today to be credible (on the internet) is to say that you're credible or to not even say it....just pretend to be it.....buy the t-shirt......and you're it.

Hey maybe we could do an identify a knife shill thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Oh man that guy is without a doubt the biggest shill that I've ever seen in the knife community. I guess he fools those people who don't know his history? It's like saying that you're a surgeon or a Navy Seal....who would doubt you if they didn't know you before? All it takes today to be credible (on the internet) is to say that you're credible or to not even say it....just pretend to be it.....buy the t-shirt......and you're it.

Hey maybe we could do an identify a knife shill thread?
    Doesn't hurt he changed YT accounts.

And yes, I like that idea very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    "Mrknife Fanatic."
    I must be incredibly non-observant because I don't know who you are talking about.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    I must be incredibly non-observant because I don't know who you are talking about.

k.
    He goes by "soulfly711" - name is Shaun something

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post

k.
    Get drunk before you click.

edit: replace the stars with a online store that sells knives.
    -"we're gonna make gluten free lasagna"

I'm in, though not at expert level. Let me know how to start.

-AJ

Definition: per Wikipedia

A shill, plant or stooge is a person who helps a person or organization without disclosing that he or she has a close relationship with that person or organization. Shill typically refers to someone who purposely gives onlookers the impression that he or she is an enthusiastic independent customer of a seller (or marketer of ideas) that he or she is secretly working for. The person or group that hires the shill is using crowd psychology, to encourage other onlookers or audience members to purchase the goods or services (or accept the ideas being marketed). Shills are often employed by confidence artists. Plant and stooge more commonly refer to any person who is secretly in league with another person or organization while pretending to be neutral or actually a part of the organization he or she is planted in, such as a magician's audience, a political party, or an intelligence organization (see double agent).

Shilling is illegal in many circumstances and in many jurisdictions[1] because of the frequently fraudulent and damaging character of the shill's actions. However, if a shill does not place uninformed parties at a risk of loss, but merely generates "buzz", the shill's actions may be legal. For example, a person planted in an audience to laugh and applaud when desired (see claque), or to participate in on-stage activities as a "random member of the audience", is a type of legal shill.

A couple things:

*You would have to be "employed" or otherwise compensated.
    *Not visibly associated with the principle party. Participating in newsletters and forum sites would rule that out.
    *Does harm comes to those being "shilled"?
    *As the definition states "shilling" is illegal in some jurisdictions. *Accussing someone of being a shill could be considered a case of libel. Even if used in the pejorative sense.

Just saying.

I'm a fan of yours Salty but,
    1. Testing knives / compounds could be considered compensation, at least by knife knuts.
    2. Visible is interesting, I don't believe he states that he is receiving the products purely to review them, but I know it could be argued that it isn't visible enough. Also, I'm guessing some, if not most, of his views are from people who don't even know KF exists.
    3. One could easily make the case (not unlike the case you made) that Internet videos posted by someone who seems knowledgeable could hurt sales of someone else, even unintentionally.
    4. Who accused anyone of being a shill?
    5. Wikipedia.

I guess I don't get it. Is this a joke?

-AJ

+ Reply to Thread