Quantcast
Product Shill Wanted - Page 7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Product Shill Wanted

Ok, I make videos. I also get to test knives from Mark sometimes as well as other knife makers. A couple of them have been his own brand knives, most were not. In the process I've filmed said knives. I've always been honest with you guys AND with Mark about my feelings towards ANY knife. I won't blindly sell something or sign my name on something I don't believe in. If there is a flaw in a product you will hear about it, no matter how small. I'm no pitchman, I'm a demonstrator and a critic.

Now it's no secret that some of my videos are embedded on Mark's site. Most of them are from way before Mark had a line of knives. He asked if it was cool to use the vids. for demo purposes so people can see the knives being used. I thought it was a good idea so you can get a better idea about a knife before spending the cash on it or not. It helps buyers make better, more informed decisions. Mark's site gets a lot of traffic so the vids get some pretty good hits. That's a plus for me, more exposure. I don't see any harm in that.

Originally, I started the videos for the club I work, to help demonstrate the skills and techniques it takes to prepare their meals. But then it became something more. I wanted you guys to accept me. I wanted to be a part of this close knit group of friends who share a common understanding. I wanted to have something that I could contribute to the group. I had to show you all that I could be one of the cool kids and be a part of this. It was my way of giving back to the community that has given me so much. The videos are bigger than me now and they serve a purpose be it on Marks site, KF or right here on KKF. They help educate and entertain and I enjoy making them. I hope you all enjoy watching them.

With that being said. Am I a shill? Am I shill worthy? No. Would I like to try your knives Dave and film some kick ass cutlery action? You betcha! I'm a knifenut that's why I'm here! If they are as good as I think they are I'd love to see them get some exposure.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

@ Theory

Your videos have kick A music. Shill or no shill, keep em comming.

Engorged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    @ Theory

+1

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    @ Theory

+ a bajillion. Bruce Hornsby and Ricky Skaggs' "Superfreak" is now on regular rotation in my play queue.

If someone is doing an honest to goodness review, citing the good and bad, that's always fantastic. A shill who is only going to cite the good or deliberately hype is, I feel, very much below the standard of honesty and excellence that I think this community - its users and makers - has set for itself.

Encouraging reviews and more videos is one thing. Comping someone to say good things is quite another.
    Len

Dave,
    How are you honey!
    You know I am your gal for this! Just let me know and I will throw my knives in the trash.

Hugs,
    Rach
    Rach,
    I love a sharp knife almost as much as Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by Rachael View Post
    Dave,
    How are you honey!
    You know I am your gal for this! Just let me know and I will throw my knives in the trash.

Hugs,
    Rach
    Now there's a knife pusher that I could cozy up to with a video camera.

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Ok, I make videos. I also get to test knives from Mark sometimes as well as other knife makers. A couple of them have been his own brand knives, most were not. In the process I've filmed said knives. I've always been honest with you guys AND with Mark about my feelings towards ANY knife. I won't blindly sell something or sign my name on something I don't believe in. If there is a flaw in a product you will hear about it, no matter how small. I'm no pitchman, I'm a demonstrator and a critic.

Now it's no secret that some of my videos are embedded on Mark's site. Most of them are from way before Mark had a line of knives. He asked if it was cool to use the vids. for demo purposes so people can see the knives being used. I thought it was a good idea so you can get a better idea about a knife before spending the cash on it or not. It helps buyers make better, more informed decisions. Mark's site gets a lot of traffic so the vids get some pretty good hits. That's a plus for me, more exposure. I don't see any harm in that.

Originally, I started the videos for the club I work, to help demonstrate the skills and techniques it takes to prepare their meals. But then it became something more. I wanted you guys to accept me. I wanted to be a part of this close knit group of friends who share a common understanding. I wanted to have something that I could contribute to the group. I had to show you all that I could be one of the cool kids and be a part of this. It was my way of giving back to the community that has given me so much. The videos are bigger than me now and they serve a purpose be it on Marks site, KF or right here on KKF. They help educate and entertain and I enjoy making them. I hope you all enjoy watching them.

With that being said. Am I a shill? Am I shill worthy? No. Would I like to try your knives Dave and film some kick ass cutlery action? You betcha! I'm a knifenut that's why I'm here! If they are as good as I think they are I'd love to see them get some exposure.

Hi Rick,
    I hope that you don't think that I'm talking about your videos here, because I'm not. Actually I'm not being specific besides the references I've already made towards certain individuals. I do think, however, that your vids add to the overall climate just because they'll naturally be grouped in together (like it or not) in people's minds. Maybe you could do more disclosure to avoid this? I don't know the answer.

I have to tell you that your post is one of the most honest straight up posts I've read on any subject in a long time and I've got to say that it's refreshing to have read it.

Dave

To start off with, one issue I have with some of these knife videos is that basically they seem sort of churned out and don't really show anything informative. Even to have someone talk about a knife and why they like it and that would be nice, rather than seeing someone cut an onion and a hanger steak a load of times. Some videos like Salty's and Theory's are great, something a little different and show technique as well as explaining the qualities of the knives

Another issue I have is pretty blatant advertising videos being posted in general forums rather than vendor forums, so they take up space where someone could actually post a useful topic but I guess that's another issue

Dave I think even if you made one video and put a bit of thought into it, it would be a great idea. This is where you can sort of set an example and stand out. Honestly I'd find it very interesting how you would make a video if it were to happen since I'm sure you've seen many more than most of us

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Hi Rick,
    I hope that you don't think that I'm talking about your videos here, because I'm not. Actually I'm not being specific besides the references I've already made towards certain individuals. I do think, however, that your vids add to the overall climate just because they'll naturally be grouped in together (like it or not) in people's minds. Maybe you could do more disclosure to avoid this? I don't know the answer.

I have to tell you that your post is one of the most honest straight up posts I've read on any subject in a long time and I've got to say that it's refreshing to have read it.

Dave
    Nope, no way not at all Dave. I knew immediately you were most likely speaking about, Ken, Shaun etc. You and I have touched on these subjects before in PM so I knew right away that it wasn't about me.

I responded to this thread because my boss who lurks here asked me if this was about me, so I just decided to clear up any confusion anyone else might have about this. DAVE'S NOT TALKING ABOUT ME. lol

Though I can see where the lines may look blurry and I feel extremely sensitive about this difficult subject. I feel if I didn't say anything I may appear one sided. So I said something. Really there is no black and white and I don't want to alienate anyone. I've felt like this whole great divide was like a messy divorce where I'm left in the middle deciding between mommy and daddy.

Both you Dave and Mark have provided me with tools, knowledge and service. I'd be a fool to start burning bridges with anyone in this community. Everyone here has been super helpful to me about everything in this crazy J-knife world. So if it's fine with everyone here I'd like to remain impartial in the middle and do business with both parties if I may. Sorry if I am offending anyone by doing so. Thanks for listening and I hope you guys understand how I feel.

Rick
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

+ Reply to Thread