Quantcast
Wine Pairing Advice Needed- HELP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wine Pairing Advice Needed- HELP!

Wine Pairing Advice Needed- HELP!

I've got the in-laws coming this weekend and the wife wants to open up a wine we got as a gift from them a long time ago. Problem is, I just don't know what to pair this with.

It's a 2004 Domaine Alfred Califa Pinot Noir. It's a big big pinot, or at least it was. Aging may have subdued it slightly.

I really really need some advice or ideas, guys. My mind is stuck in a freakin' rut and keeps coming back to some sort of roasted bird. But I don't want to do that twice in a month, since I've already got a bird lined up for Thanksgiving. It seems at the moment that all my food ideas are fowl! (Sorry. Couldn't resist)

Ideas?

Being from Wisconsin I'm a big veal fan. Depending how the wine presents itself might determine if I gently grill it or otherwise.

Big Pinot? Hare or venison would work if you're game (also couldn't resist).

Ooo... Rabbit. I'm liking that. Rabbit Ragu and Pappardelle... Oh! Braised rabbit over polenta? ... hmm... definitely like rabbit. Thanks!

Edit: i think I take back the ragu. Too rich. Don't think this wine will be big and jammy enough.

Roasted wild boar or heritage pork?
    Anthony

Kangaroo maybe??

Hard to source here. Though I've had wallaby. I was underwhelmed, to tell you the truth. Might have been poorly prepared, but it didn't seem to bring much in terms of flavor, just a lot of fat and marbling. Tender, I'll grant. But not particularly flavorful.

I like the rabbit idea too, just make sure the in-laws are squeamish about it. I made that mistake once. With that said, I made this rabbit recipe about a year ago and loved it.

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipe...-Mustard-Sauce

It says is pairs well with a rich, low-tanin red.

And btw, what really pairs well with in-laws is a very, very stiff drink.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

LOL!

I think the economics of rabbit might nix the rabbit idea. Rabbit is a fun some-time thing when it's just the wife and I, but for four, I'll probably need two, right? They're pretty pricey down here, since so few places carry them... Pork, however, is EVERYWHERE. Might explore that a bit more. Will definitely keep that rabbit recipe in the back of my head though, thanks!

Just sent you a pm